Chapter 45

I've heard a lot of stories, both fiction and nonfiction. I memorized every fairytale as a kid. The variation among these stories is undeniable but they all go home to one theme: love.

Rapunzel was stuck in the tower for years since she was a baby. She mistook love for something that must always obey. If you love someone, do everything that she wants and wishes even if that doesn't make you happy.

Anastasia mistook love to be something you can force. So she tried her best to be the person the prince can love and marry.

If the shoe doesn't fit your foot, you can force yourself to wear it but the thing is, it will hurt you.

The shoe is made for us, we are not made for the shoe. Hence, if it doesn't fit us, put it down, search and find the shoe that is suitable for you. You don't have to change anything about yourself. There will be a pair that is perfectly made for you.

There is love that pretends to be love when it isn't. We get deceived, fooled, and poisoned. It might appear as a scary image but can also show up to you with a deceiving picture, like that of an angel.

I was once a young girl who saw the world as something fun like a wonderland. I never thought the world holds so much mystery and hides surprises, both good and bad. But one thing I've learned as I grew up is that... love is not as flawless and beautiful as those in the fairytales.

It isn't easy. Mice and dogs won't help you. Not all can have a fairy Godmother who will help them. Your wishes can't be granted without you exerting effort. A pumpkin won't turn into a carriage. Life won't adjust to you, fate won't pity you. A kiss can't take the pain away, a kiss can't wake the sleeping beauty whose heart has already stopped beating--like Ciana. Not all love stories end with 'happily ever after-life her and my brother.

And lastly, you can't marry someone you just met. I think that's the most unrealistic part of every fairytale.

Marriage is a once-in-a-lifetime, no turning back step. You must not marry because people told you so or just because everyone is doing it. You must not marry because you're in your thirties or forties. Don't marry when you're bored, when you're pressured or when you're dictated. Don't be bothered by the candles on the cake and the numbers of your age.

Marry when you're ready.

And when you know that you can love the person on good days and on bad.

"Ma'am, Era. Nandito na po tayo."

Natulala ata ako kaya natatawa ang driver nang lingunin ako sa backseat. I was lost in deep thoughts. I didn't notice we're already here.

"I'm sorry. Kanina pa ba tayo rito?"

"Hindi naman, Ma'am. Siguro mga walong beses ko lang po kayong tinawag," aniya, natatawa pa rin.

"Sorry about that again. This won't take long. You can wait for me here or you can stroll in the park if you want to. Tatawagan na lang kita kapag aalis na tayo rito," I said.

This is farther than the prison where I usually go. Malayo sa bilibid kung saan nanggaling si Kuya. For years, I convinced myself I must not go here for it's such a waste of time and energy.

This will be my first and last I guess.

"Sino pong sadya nila?" The policewoman approached me nicely.

I swallowed the growing lump in my throat before speaking. "Georgina Legazpi."

I said her name fast. It felt weird and wrong. Ang tagal ko nang pinipilit ibinaon sa limot ang pangalan niya pero hindi ko magawa.

"Sige po, Ma'am. Pakihintay niyo na lang po kami rito. Maupo po muna kayo, Ma'am."

I took a seat at the empty table. I heard only few people visits the inmates here. Siguro, dahil nga malayo ito sa kabihasnan at ang hirap pang puntahan. Kaya kahit araw-araw ay maaaring dumalaw, sobra ang mga daliri sa isang kamay mo para bilangin ang tao sa paligid bukod sa mga pulis.