Chapter 32

"He's very annoying, Mommy."

That was the fifth time Felize said that. She's sitting beside me like a grown-up lady. Arms crossed on her chest and one leg above the other. Hindi lang 'yon, she looks like she's on her period with her furrowed eyebrows and lazy lips.

I can tell she's annoyed.

"He's old but he can't read the big signs on our doors. He went out of the wrong door again after talking to teacher Alma."

"Did you correct him again?" I was holding my laugh from the beginning. How can I tell her it's her Daddy if she's mad at him?

"He won't listen. He's a hardheaded kid."

"Kid? But you said he looks like a grandpa." I chuckled, remembering the face of Franco when he complained to me.

"He has the attitude of a kid inside a grandpa's body, Mommy. I like Malcolm but I don't like his Dad."

My lips rounded to whistle quietly. "He's Malcolm's dad?" I was hesitant when I asked her.

Though I already know the answer, I am hoping she would say no. If it's a yes then it means magkapatid sila ng sinasabi niyang kaibigan.

"I think so, Mommy. Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. Mommy is just curious."

Ngayon ko lang kasi siya nakitang naghatid at sundo sa bata. Noon naman ay yaya ang kasama ni Malcolm sa tuwing papasok at uuwi. Madalas, hindi ko naaabutan kaya siguro hindi ko nakikita.

He has a son now. Binuo niya na sa iba ang pamilyang minsan naming pinangarap buuin.

It's not the right time to be hurt and cry because I Am with Felize but a single tear betrayed me.

"Are you crying, Mommy?" Dinungaw ako ni Felize nang mapansing magpunas ng mata.

"I hurt my eye. Don't worry about it, love."

Naging mabagal ang usad ng sasakyan namin dahil puno ng mga sasakyan ang kalsada. Felize stood on her seat and hugged me before kissing my eyes.

"Does it still hurt, Mommy?" she asked after doing that repeatedly.

Natawa ako. She's mean at her Dad but is sweet to me. "A bit. I think I need more kisses."

Pinuspos niya ng halik ang mata ko kaya napapikit. I didn't open my eyes until she stopped. "How is it, Mommy?"

"I feel better." I smiled before giving back all the kisses she gave me.

Kung ako ang tatanungin, kaya ko naman tiisin na lang ang sakit at magpatuloy na kami lang ni Felize. She's enough. She brought change to my life but I know she deserves more than that.

She's longing for her father. At a young age, she has to understand why her Dad isn't around, living with us. I covered the truth with my white lies. I couldn't tell her I'm not sure if Franco still wants us. Especially now that he has his own family. I can feel the grudge he's holding for me.

Pero hindi matatahimik ang puso ko at hindi ito makukuntento kung hindi ko maibibigay sa anak ko ang karapatan niyang makilala si Franco, not as annoying man but as his father.

"What are your plans for her birthday? She's turning six in three weeks. May maitutulong ba 'ko?"

"Mas maganda kung dito. Put it there, it complements the color of the wall," utos ko sa mga lalaking nagsasabit ng paintings sa pader.

I've painted a lot. Natatambak na lang sa studio kaya kesa alikabukin ay napagdesisyunan kong gawing palamuti sa buong cafe. It can make the place more attractive. Instagramable, they say.