Chapter 3

"What are you doing?"

My hands folded like a clamshell when I heard him from my behind. The ball fell and rolled to the corner of the room. Gulat ang dahilan kung bakit bigla akong kinabahan.

"I was just... putting it back on your shelf because it fell earlier." I talked with my hands

His adam's apple moved, veins on his neck protruded and his eyes were ready to lecture me. He let out a quiet sigh before walking toward me to get the ball nearby my foot.

"I must've expected you're as serious as I am about the contract we just signed earlier, Ms. Legazpi."

"I am serious about that. Katulad ng sinabi ko, ibabalik ko lang naman talaga ang bola. Then, curiosity took over me. I saw a name and decided to have a look." I didn't feel the need to lie so I admitted what happened.

"This is the last time you'll touch what's mine, Ms. Legazpi. The next time someone violates the rule, there will be a punishment."

My hands hide behind me. "What punishment?" Teeth on lips, anticipating his answer.

"Do all the chores," aniya. "Since you did violate a rule, don't you think you should clean our mess in the sala?"

"You said next time. It means hindi pa counted ang ginawa ko. Besides, the punishment wasn't in the contract yet when I signed it." My head tilted a bit to the side, bragging about the card I pulled.

Wala siyang nagawa kung hindi bumuntong hininga at ibalik ang bola sa shelf niya. Writing the punishment after taking the paper from the drawer, I asked him to feed my curiosity.

"Is she your girlfriend?"

I saw how he stop writing for a second. He blinked like he was searching for the answer to the space on the paper but he did not answer me.

"Do you love her?" I rephrased my question. "Moren?"

He signed the paper again. When he stood properly to hand me the paper, I stared at him in the eyes.

"Please let me know. I want to be ready. We'll be marrying each other after all, I want to be aware of the man I'm marrying is in love with someone else." I feel pain.

For some reason, I pity myself. Pakakasalan ko na nga ang taong hindi ko mahal. Pakakasalan ko pa ang lalaking may mahal na iba. Am I an antagonist in their story?

"Sign it," aniya sa halip na sagutin ang tanong ko.

Disappointed that he gave me no answer, I rolled my eyes. I just accepted the possibility that he's in love with someone else.

I signed the paper for the second time and handed it to him. Na parang nagtatampo pa ako dahil hindi niya ako sinagot.

"Did your parents inform you that we're moving here in the next two weeks?" He is so casual.

"Yeah."

"Let's not see each other until that day. I believe there's nothing left to do here. I have a meeting today and will start by five p.m."

Why can't he just say he needs to leave? "You can leave, Mr. Suarez. I don't need a ride."

"Hindi naman kita tinatanong. I am just informing you," pagbasag niya sa sinabi ko.

My mouth hangs a little. Still in the process of absorbing what he said, he turned his back and went out of the room.

He's so rude. I mean he doesn't have to be that straightforward. How dare I assume he'll offer me a ride? Oh, kismet. You're too harsh on a princess like me.