Volume 1 Chapter 3: The First Steps

(Play Opening)

The scene starts in the Beacon locker room where the first year students are getting their weapons for the initiation.
Ruby and Yang are standing by their lockers as two students walk by talking to each other, one was a girl with short orange hair and full of energy, and the other was a boy with long black hair in a ponytail with a pink streak in the front and was quiet and calm.

Ruby: Wonder what those two are so worked up about?

Yang: Oh, who knows? So, you seem awfully chipper this morning.

Ruby: Yep! No more awkward small talk or "getting-to-know-you" stuff. Today, I get to let my sweetheart do the talking.

As Ruby holds Crescent Rose and starts to praise her weapon.

Yang: Well I wouldn't say that, you seemed to have managed to make small talk with Jaune and Hercule, you just need to remember that you're not the only one going through initiation

Yang: Well I wouldn't say that, you seemed to have managed to make small talk with Jaune and Hercule, you just need to remember that you're not the only one going through initiation. if you wanna grow up, you're going to have to meet more new people and learn to work together.

Ruby: Ugh, you sound like dad! Okay, first of all: what does meeting new people have to do with fighting? Secondly: I don't need people to help me grow up! I drink milk! And lastly: why were you asking me all those questions about Hercule?

Yang tried to act natural given the spot Ruby had put her in. She didn't exactly tell Ruby about her little history with Hercule, so she tries to shrug it off.

Yang: What? Can't I be curious about the new friends her little sister makes? I just wanted to make sure he was good people.

Ruby: Oookay, but then why didn't you ask me anything about Jaune?

Yang froze up for a minute as she remembered that her sister became friends with Jaune too. She brought her hair over her shoulder and started stroking it as she tried to come up with a good excuse.

 She brought her hair over her shoulder and started stroking it as she tried to come up with a good excuse

Yang: Well I-i... guess I was just curious about Hercule, I must've forgotten about Jaune. Hehe

Ruby: My dear sister Yang, is there something that you're not telling me?