Chapter XLII

The gunshot went on and on. Ni hindi na nila alam kung sino pa ang mga tinamaan. All he knows is that Julie's life is in danger.

Nang mawala ang mga putok, he kneeled in front of Julie and tried to stop the blood coming from her body. 

"Juls, I'm here. Please. Keep breathing for me please."

"Brad!" isang malakas na sigaw ang biglang pumigil sa kanya. 

People were hiding under tables, some were squeezing themselves on corners that they could find. Mangilan-ngilan din ang mga taong naiwan. 

And in his peripheral vision, he saw two bodyguards laying on the floor, lifeless. 

He could hear his own lips tremble at the sight of the casualties. 

This was pure madness. 

"Brad!" patuloy na nagsisisigaw si Anton. 

Then all of a sudden, he heard loud screaming. People were growing fearful by the minute and all he sees is the man who could be losing his sanity right at that moment. 

"Brad! Magpakita ka sa akin kung ayaw mong may mamatay na naman dito!" halos lumabas na ang litid sa leeg ni Anton sa kakasigaw. 

He closed his eyes and tucked Julie under a table. She's not responding and her eyes are still tightly closed. 

In retrospect, she could be dead, at hinding- hindi niya mapapatawad ang sarili. She's losing a lot of blood already. 

He slowly stood up and raised his hand up in his head. 

"I'm here!"

Mabilis namang itinutok ni Anton ang baril sa kinaroroonan niya. 

A wicked smirk soon filled his face. Brad slowly walked towards him still raising his hand. 

Hawak-hawak ni Anton sa leeg ang isa sa mga guest ng event. He knew her as a new and rising artist na kaibigan din ni Chloe. 

"Let her go Anton."

"Not until I kill you."

"Walang kinalaman ang mga tao dito sa nangyayari sa pamilya natin! Kaya kung pwede lang, let's talk about this like good old brothers."

"I don't have a brother. And even if I did have one, hindi ko rin naman siya kinakausap."

"Please Anton. I simply ask you to let all of them go. You can take me. Just don't hurt anyone else. Please."

"Keep your hands on your head." patuloy lang na nakatutok ang baril nito sa kanya. 

"You don't have to do this Anton. Alam mo'ng hindi aako madamot sa ano mang meron ako. I can give you back the shares you own."

His laughter soon filled the room. Lingid sa kaalaman nila, may nakapasok nang special forces sa loob ng hotel. People who are tasked to infiltrate such incidents. 

"If only you haven't married that woman, our family would have never been ruined. She has always been your downfall Brad! The moment I saw her, I know she will ruin you and our family. It wasn't enough that you took her as your girlfriend, pinakasalan mo pa talaga siya! Now look at us!"

Napapailing si Brad sa sinasabi ng kapatid. 

"She was never the reason Anton. Our family has long been ruined. Kahit wala pa man si Julie ay matagal nang sira ang pamilya natin." his hands tensed as he slowly walked closer to his brother. 

At the back of his mind, he said a little prayer, asking to keep Julie alive. Na sana ay aabot pa siya. At na sana, it would not be too late. He left her for a while. He needs to talk to his brother. Perhaps convince him to be more logical about all of these things.