Chapter XXXI

"What are you talking about? Is this a prank?" nakikita na niya ang naguguluhan nitong mukha. Somehow, over lunch, he suddenly grew older in her eyes. 

"You're not required to say anything right at this hour. But there's a certain urgency I'm trying to imply with the word as soon as possible. So I'll leave it up to you. Marry me."

"Just because you're here now doesn't mean you can also manipulate me around. What did I ever do to you para paglaruan mo ako ng ganito?"

"Hindi kita pinaglalaruan. And honestly, you don't want to go there. I'm pretty sure I should be the one asking you those kinds of questions."

"Then what is this?" the anger in his face suddenly delivered fear to her. Hindi niya ito kailan man nakitang nagalit ng ganito. "Do you think that these kinds of proposals are that easy to say yes to? This is degrading to me. I am a man, ako ang dapat na nag-popropose!"

"Get over yourself, Brad. I am not proposing just because I am manipulating you. I don't think you can be manipulated. I am proposing an alliance—you and me. But trust that when I am asking you this, it's not because I am a hopeful romantic trying to win you. Hindi naman kasi nangyayari sa totoong buhay 'yun. What I'm asking you is to join forces with me. Because something big is about to happen, and when it does happen, I will be the only one you can count on."

"That's crazy! You are crazy!" napapailing pa ito habang nakayukong naglakad paalis. 

"The offer stands within 24-hours. That's it. Unless you have a girlfriend, I don't see any problem with my proposal. But if you do have one, break up with her. She will be useless to you."

Malakas nitong binalibag ang pinto palabas. 

She hated what he might be thinking about her. Alam niya'ng kahit saang anggulo tingnan, siya ang lalabas na masama. 

But the soonest that Brad would decide, the better. 

She dialed a number on her phone and smiled as she greeted the man who answered on the other line. 

"Hi, Enzo!"

Slowly, her mind has to think of every possible angle that she can just to make sure that she can protect her family's business. At all cost. Minsan na ito'ng nawala sa kanya. 

Hindi niya hahayaang mawala ito'ng muli sa kanila. 

"I'm about to do a relaunch, at the same time, I'd want you to join me. When do you have the time?"

Ang ngiting lumabas sa mga labi niya ay nangangahulugan ng positibong sagot. 

"Okay then, I'll have my attorney prepare your contract. I'll see you next week."

She started composing an e-mail sent out to Atty. Almeda. As soon as she was set, inayos niya and sarili at mabilis an inayos ang mga gamit. 

She walked out of her office and left instructions to her secretary. 

Mahigpit niyang ibinilin na sabihin kay Brad ang lokasyon niya kung sakali ma'ng hanapin siya nito. 

As soon as she was in her car, she drove not too far from her family's company and parked in front of what looked like an old garage. 

Matagal na nilang binili ang rights sa property na 'yun. Once the business boomed, they wanted to have a bigger space for their inventories. They will soon be renovating the area and make it more spacious. 

She smiled at the security guard who nodded at her as soon as she got in. Sa loob ay nandoon na si Jasmine na abala sa pag-aasikaso sa mga bagong dating nilang mga damit.