42. too scared to love

What was worse than a headache?

A combination of heartache with a headache.

That's exactly how Aarohi felt as she made her way back to her hotel room. Her head was literally beating a huge drum with the pain she felt and her heart was taking a hammer and slaughtering itself for no rhyme nor reason. The steps to her room felt like an eternity to her, the thousands of needles that pricked her heart and the huge hammer hitting her head, the pain both physical and emotional, it felt like she was caged into a room, a dark room of pain.

Aarohi walked slowly towards her room, slowly because she kept contemplating what just happened with her, what she heard, what she could understand and what felt like a slap on the face. Honestly, if anyone told her that this was a dream, she'd believe them, because it did not feel real at all.

I love you, Aarohi Goenka, for you, for me. I love you for us.

Love huh, Aarohi found it funny how the one word she never liked using was now being repeatedly chanting and echoing in her mind. It was a powerful word, a word people these days throw away just casually, take no heed to how intense that word is, and play around with it for pleasure and mere promises.

Love was not just a beautiful emotion, it's a very powerful feeling. Not everyone knows how much this four letter word can make or mar someone. Not everyone knows how selfless, patient, kind and honourable this word truly was. It wasn't just a random four letter word thrown away to get some kisses and hugs, it wasn't even just a word to play around for tags and filters.

The word itself created the world.

Aarohi loved only few people in her life. Loved, as in actually, truly, selflessly and patiently loved only few who were deserving of that love.

Then comes the next question, how do you know whether someone deserves your love.

Aarohi fumbled with her keycard in her room, her hands were shivering, as she unlocked the door and the scene in front of her took her by surprise and another set of emotions.

Abhimanyu sat besides a visibly anxious Akshara, who although unconscious, affirmed to be in clear discomfort. Looking at her sister lying in a pool of anxieties, Aarohi let go of her headaches and heartaches and reached out to the other side of the bed.

"Aaru..." Akshara's faint mumbling became louder to Aarohi who quickly sat next to her sister on the bed. "Aaru..."

"BP low hai, behosh ho gayi..." Abhimanyu answered the question of concern on Aarohi's fear stricken face. "Maine injection toh de diya hai, kal tak theek ho jayegi. But I'm just concerned ki wapas panic attack na aa jaye..." Aarohi wiped that first tear which fell from her eye and could now see the visible troubled faces of Abhimanyu, the groom to be who looked like a miserable man and then at the bride to be, who was heartbroken and Aarohi noted how powerful that four letter word really was.

Wasn't it love that binded her with her sister, wasn't it love that made Abhimanyu sit here in absolute distress, wasn't it love that she could sideline her heartaches for her sister and wasn't it love that Akshara didn't care a hoot about the wedding when it came to their sisterhood.

It was, wasn't it.

It was love, it is love, will always be, that makes us do things that seem crazy and overboard to the onlookers, that keeps us elevated and happy, keeps free and blissful and hurts at the same time.

"Aaru..." Akshara held Aarohi's hand, and Aarohi kissed the former's forehead, "I'm sorry..."

"Sorry?" Aarohi wiped another tear chuckling, "kyon? Aisa kya kiya tune phirse?"