30. Neil Birla

30. Neil Birla

The Birla House was all serious and ambitious, until Neil came into their lives. He was the ball of sunshine, the happy-go-lucky kid who not only did what he wanted, but he often doubled happiness for the household. He was Manjari's sweetheart, because he had gone after his mother when it came to loving and giving, helping and sharing and his smile, his sweet smile too was what would wipe all their tensions away.

But Neil Birla did not smile that day. 

And since he did not, the Birlas' felt very uneasy and disturbed. Manjari felt restless, Harshwardhan was a bit on the edge, and Abhimanyu, he forgot all the steps when he was rehearsing with Akshara for the ceremony. There was tension between Shefali and Parth, and Nishta felt stupidly worried for her exams which were half a year ahead. 

"Aaj kuch ajeeb sa lag raha hai, didi," Manjari informed Mahima as they were getting ready for the sangeet, "I felt so restless after a long time, since morning."

"Yes," Mahima nodded, adjusting Manjari's hair while the professionals who were called to dress and doll them up continued their work, "I thought I was the only one. Anand-ji told me that he felt like he was in a surgery and forgot what was to be done, and Nishta came in and asked me that she wants to go home and study." They chuckled, shaking their head, "pata nahi kya ho raha hai."

Shefali who had barged in and heard the last sentence shook her head, "nahi Maa, chachi," She addressed the ladies, looking pretty in her lehenga, "Parth aur main bhi aaj sirf ladte hi jaa rahe hai. Pata nahi kyu?" 

"Haan maa," Nishta who was seated on the bed behind, surfing through her notes, "I do not know why I am so stressed. Aaj toh Harsh chachu bhi research papers ko leke itne tensed the..."

"Haan," Manjari seconded that, "yes, for some odd reason he was also worried about his already published research. I do not understand what is wrong, is it because Abhimanyu's wedding is approaching?" 

"Arrey toh hume kyu tension hogi?" Shefali sat on the bed, taking Nishta's mobile from her hand and ushering her to get changed, "hum toh ladke wale hai."

"Baat toh sahi hai," 

The knock on the door drove their attention on Abhimanyu who was tired and not ready for the sangeet at all, in fact he plopped down on the bed setting aside all the jewellery and accessories. "Maa, please kuch karo."

"What happened?"

Abhimanyu sat back, holding his chest, "bilkul accha nahi lag raha hai, I just feel so stupid and so..."

"Restless,"

They all said at the same time and sighed, making Abhimanyu a little startled and a lot surprised but he sighed too. The Birla clan were all thoughtfully engrossed on why they were all collectively feeling this way and then they heard Neil's soft voice from the door.

"Bhai, aap yaha ho," Neil entered, looking handsome in his blue sherwani, hair all done and except his smile, everything intact. "You gotta change," Neil said, his soft voice and lack of smile made the Birla clan to look at each other and then at Neil all at once.

No wonder they were all really messed up that day, because Neil was absent the entire day, he and his comical appearance was not there to lighten their day and hence they felt something was missing.

Neil would take pride in being an attention-seeker and barge into all their lives like he owned it. Every morning he would go and hug his Anand and Mahima Taya-Tai-ji and sit with them, they would share a thought or two on current affairs and then Neil would hop to meet Shefali and Parth and his intervention would give Parth and Shefali's bickering a relaxed face and the couple would often make him their referee. Nishta would rant about her boards to Neil and Neil would listen to her, and then tell her that in case it did not work out, he'd make her the CEO of his company. Then of course, Neil would barge into Abhimanyu's room, trouble him, mess with up, make some snarky comments here and there and then head to his parents' room, where he'd sip an extra cup of tea with his mom and let his father discuss his new research ideas to him while he would sit patiently for the not so interesting conversation to be over.