𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

.・。.・゜✭・.

・゜✭・

.・。.・゜✭・.

"Shannon, we can't sit in the hallway scanning everyone's shoes in the middle of the corridor like were James Bond!"

"It's the only way!" She pouted. Shannon had figured out that the ultraviolet from Kara's decent display had spilled during the vandalism, therefore, the vandal must have trodden in it. So, if we scanned everyone's shoes with the ultraviolet light, we had a chance of finding the culprit.

I sighed, "You're right," I took the lamp in my hands and switched it on, "Are you sure this will work?" She nodded and took it from my hands, "Certain."

She crouched down on the floor and started scanning people's shoes as a flood walked past.

My eyebrows furrowed as I picked up Maddy's heartbeat - it was rapid. I looked at her concerned and she nodded down the corridor. I looked in the same direction and saw Tom. I looked back at Maddy. I knew exactly what she was trying to say. I shook my head at her silent suggestion but she nodded.

"Any luck?" Tom asked us, breaking off a conversation with his mates from football. Maddy didn't answer his question, "I think we need to talk about Friday. What really happened."

I bit my lip. I had told Maddy, Shannon and Rhydian about how Tom's dad never showed up. Maddy had somehow convinced herself that Tom was our vandal. I could see where she was coming from but I trusted Tom and I believed him, just like how I had believed Rhydian.

"What?" Tom responded, his eyes filled with confusion. "I know you were the last to leave school." Maddy told him, her heart beating evermore faster.

"You're kidding me." Tom told her, his voice rising slightly at her suggestion, "Do you really think I'd do that to other people's work?"

"I'm just trying to help you." Maddy responded urgently, but Tom was having nothing to do with her sympathy. He stormed over to Shannon and grabbed the light out of her hands. He turned to Maddy and held out the light, "If you really think it's me..."

I bit my lip harshly. Tom never got angry at anyone and I hated seeing Maddy having to take the fall for it. I sighed and tried to reason with Tom, "This isn't going to make things any better-"

"No!" He shouted, "If you all think its me then go ahead." Maddy held his eye as she took the ultraviolet light from his hand. She shone it over his shoes. Nothing.

"Thanks, Mads." He scoffed sarcastically before storming down the corridor. I didn't hesitate to follow him, "Tom!" I called as he made his way outside. He didn't answer my call but instead stood perfectly still, looking across the playground in front of him.

I followed his stare and my eyes landed on his dad who was standing in front of his car, a look of apology shadowing his features. Tom looked to me, silently asking what he should do. I nodded in support, telling him to talk to him. I thought that a chat with his dad would make him feel better.