54

Gabi

"Surprise!"

Everyone popped out from behind the sofa and set off confetti canons, Maddox laughing beside me as I jumped back.

Cake was laid out on the table with party hats, and they had stuck birthday banners around the living room.

"What's going on?"

"Well we didn't get to celebrate your birthday properly," Julian said, running over to hug me, "So we thought we could surprise you!"

"You came over,"

"We had no party," April huffed, putting a party hat on my head, "So here it is,"

"Thank you,"

Maja grabbed a lighter and began to light the candles, so Henry and Maddox closed all the curtains and turned out any lights, then they carried the cake over and everyone began to sing.

I hated being the centre of attention with my friends, honestly.

I blew the candles out and they clapped, then passed me the knife to cut it. One thing I did notice was that my hand was still, and so did Maddox, who gave me a nod across the table. That was enough to make me smile.

"What are you waiting for?"

"I'm deciding how much I want for myself,"

"There's another one in the fridge so..."

Everyone held their paper plates, so I gave them all a slice and we took it to the table outside, Henry putting music on his speaker.

"Thank you guys, I appreciate you a lot. This has probably been one of the hardest times in my life,"

"Don't thank us for being your friend," Henry said firmly, "I know we piss about but we have done the bare minimum,"

"I wouldn't call this the bare minimum, but thank you,"

"For someone as incredible as you, this is the bare minimum," Maddox said quietly, intertwining our fingers.

"Cheers to that,"

After cake, we played board games, then April and Henry brought out some buffet food they had made.

It was a good time, with good people, and I felt good.

As the evening set on, we cracked open the alcohol and had some drinks, though I only had a couple for I knew Ashton was counting on me to make sure this place looked okay tomorrow.

Everyone else drank a lot more, and went inside to dance together. They seemed to be having fun, so I cut another slice of cake and wrapped it up, telling April I'd be back before quietly leaving the house.

I made my way back to dad's cabin and pulled my phone out, telling Sierra to come out to the front. When she did, I held out the cake.

"What's this?"

"Cake. For you,"

"Oh, thank you,"

"I cut it myself,"

"Oh. Oh! You did?"

She came down the steps and took it, then wrapped her arm round me.

"Have you had alcohol?"

"A little bit,"

"Your friends?"

"A bit more than a little bit,"

"Are you wanting to hang here?"

"No, I just wanted to bring you cake I had cut. Because you're the one who helped,"