35

Luke

A few days passed from the hospital scare, and Gabi and I were adjusting back to normal. Both of us had spent our days on ours laptops doing work, then caught up in the evening and ate outside for some fresh air.

We had no more visitors, so it was just the two of us for a bit, and I was rather enjoying it. It was always the two of us anyway, but we hadn't spent this much time together in a while.

And I could see how much better she felt.

"Happy Saturday,"

Gently, I woke her up and put some water down, brushing the hair from her face. It was getting matted because she hadn't thought much about her appearance, nor had she showered which I needed her to do because family was visiting. And then Maddox.

"Wakey wakey,"

"5 more minutes,"

"Grandma will be over in an hour, you need to eat and shower,"

"Hey,"

"Someone's gotta tell you,"

"I'm not hungry,"

"Go and shower then,"

I opened her curtains and she whined, then covered her head with the duvet and shook it.

I found waking her up had been really hard since the surgery, and I guessed she woke up in a lot of pain that she didn't want to bother me with.

"Okay, you come downstairs and eat, have some medicine and painkillers, then shower,"

"Fine,"

I got her up and carried her on my back, putting her at the kitchen table as I prepared breakfast. I got us both some oatmeal and sat beside her as we ate, her hand shaking again which frustrated her even more. It would go away, I had asked Sierra, but all the meds were difficult to adjust to.

"Here, let me help,"

"No. I am an adult,"

"And adults still need help,"

"You're not feeding me breakfast,"

"This stays between us, why does it matter?"

"That was really stupid of you to say," she mumbled, "You don't get it. You don't understand what it's like to always need help, or what it's like to ask for, or accept it,"

"I am sorry, you are right,"

"I know you don't care but I feel like you do. You thought you'd have this perfect family but instead you got me and mum,"

"You don't fall under the same bracket as her, because I love you, and I think you're amazing. I do have the perfect family, I love being a dad,"

"Are you gonna have a kid with Sierra and be another dad?"

"I don't know. We aren't there yet, we are far from kids,"

"Okay,"

"I love being your dad,"

"You and Sierra would be really good parents together," she said, looking at me with watery eyes, "And you can have another go,"

"Gabriella," I said softly, "I don't need another go. You are the most amazing daughter, and you can always, always ask me for help. Now let me help you have breakfast so you can shower and do some makeup so that grandma goes into shock about how old you look,"

She giggled slightly and let me help, then I took her upstairs and she went to the shower.

In the meantime, I tidied the house up a bit because we were messy, and I went to our neighbour to see if their kid wanted some cash to walk Petunia. She was itching to go out, so I was glad they were eager to take her.