21

Luke

Gabi slept peacefully through the night. She didn't wake up when the nurses came in, when the bathroom was used, or even when her monitor was beeping from her heart rate.

It was unusual, but incredible.

Unfortunately, I woke up everytime, but thats what parents did and I wasn't upset.

Plus, all of this had scared the shit out of me.

"Dad?"

"Good morning,"

"My stomach hurts,"

"You're probably hungry,"

"No,"

She looked at me with tearful eyes and I kissed her head, then got her to lay on her back so I could feel her stomach.

"It's stomach ache,"

"Just checking,"

"Don't you go doctor on me too. You and Sierra have to stay non doctor,"

"But I want her to do the transplant,"

"Fine. You have to stay non doctor,"

"Okay. That means lots of cuddles,"

She nodded and I got in beside her, gently rubbing her tummy as she laid miserably in my arms, not even on her phone.

"Do your friends know what's going on?"

"Yeah,"

"Maybe later, after Calum comes in, we can see if they can visit,"

"No,"

"No?"

"I want peace and quiet,"

"Hm. You really are sick,"

"Was the hospital bed not enough to prove that or...?"

I could see her smile slightly, but then she winced and I kissed her head, comforting her as best as I could.

She tried to refuse breakfast, but I got her to eat some toast in the end so she could take her medicine.

Eventually, Calum came in bearing more painkillers, then he rolled over and pulled out some papers from her file.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"Tummy ache,"

"I'm sorry about that darling, I am guessing your dad already checked that out huh?"

"Yeah,"

"The good news is that I have some news about a kidney,"

"Dad's?" she asked, looking round at me, "When do we do it?"

"Well I tested quite a few people, and your dad is a good match, but there is an even beter match,"

"Sierra?"

"No, it's,"-

"Michael? We are quite similar,"

"No, Gabi, listen... just hear me out,"

She sat up, which forced me off the bed, but I stayed right next to her because I knew exactly what he was gonna say.

And it would go one of two ways.

"The best match is your mum. She is willing to donate it, she has passed all the checks we need, and we can get it here tomorrow. She doesn't have to see you, or contact you, but her kidney is the best shot,"

I watched as she took a deep breath and bit her lips, furrowing her eyebrows, before loosening them and looking towards me.

Then, she looked towards Calum and started to bite her fingernails, her heart rate starting to rise.