36

Gabi

Maddox and I sat on the floor eating a pizza as dad and Sierra spoke to the adults at the table, keeping them distracted.

Sierra had brought Maddox, and they had been bombarded with questions from my very nosey family. I loved them all, but it was very overwhelming.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages,"

"It had been a few days," she said, "How are you feeling?"

"A bit better actually,"

"Oh good,"

"How are you? I feel like the attention has been on me for so long,"

"I am fine, I only want to focus on you,"

"Nope," I said, popping the p, "How is the sport going?"

"Netball is really great, and track is too, but we do miss you. I think I am going to quit Hockey, it is too much with drama,"

"You do so much,"

"How do you think I got into uni?"

"You got an offer?"

"I did,"

"Well done,"

"It's here, by the way,"

"It is?" I smiled, "That's cool,"

"It's the one I liked best, mum and dad are thinking of moving over here too so I can live with them... it will be kinda nice to live at home. I do like boarding but it can be kind of lonely, even with Maja,"

"Yeah,"

"Being here has made me miss home,"

"As in being at my house?"

"Yeah," she said, wiping ketchup off my cheek, "Your dad and Sierra have made this feel like a home, I guess. And his friends... one of them, um, Michael, he gave me his number incase I ever needed to visit or had an emergency,"

"They're the best. Do you see my dad and Sierra as a pair?"

"I mean, I guess. Like us being a pair,"

"Okay. Sorry, I am overthinking a lot right now,"

"Do you like her?"

I shrugged and grabbed another slice to eat. It was getting kind of cold now, but we didn't care. Or at least I didn't, for everything was perfect when she was around.

"Don't hate her,"

"I think she is a really great person, and she speaks very highly of you both,"

I rested my head on her shoulder and hummed, not wanting to talk about it anymore; she kissed my head and put her hand on my thigh, holding my weight up for me.

"Have you heard back from uni yet?"

"No,"

"Maybe soon,"

"Yeah, maybe,"

I looked up as we heard chairs scraping, and everyone got up, heading for their shoes.

Maddox helped me stand and I went to grandma, giving her a hug goodbye. Then Jack and Ben, who proceeded to go over to Maddox which made her look at me in terror.

"Come here squiglet," grandad said, "I am so proud of you. I hope you feel better soon,"

"Thank you,"

"She seems lovely. And Sierra too,"

"Yeah," I said quietly, "See you soon,"

We waved them off, then dad shut the door and sighed in relief, giving Sierra a kiss; Maddox put her hand over my eye and laughed, but I was yet to find humour in having to watch my dad kiss someone.