52

Luke

"You were not lying about this view,"

"Obviously,"

"This is sick mate," Calum said, "Is this a good picnic spot?"

"I think so,"

We laid down a few picnic blankets under a tree and pulled out the food we had brought in back packs. Sierra sat with Crystal while I sat with the boys- I knew they hadn't had chance to catch up much lately.

"Cal, you seriously make the best food,"

"It's a sandwich, Mike,"

"And it is beautiful,"

"It's a sandwich,"

"I do hope the kids are eating something edible," I said.

"Don't even," Ash grumbled, "The amount of crap they put in,"

"Why didn't you stop them!"

"Because they're adults now, I was only there for the bank account. Plus, it is certainly not my place to tell any of them what they can and can't eat,"

"They'll be okay, Luke, honestly,"

"I know, I know, I am just being a dad,"

"We can tell,"

"Aren't you meeting Maddox's dad this week? Well, parents?"

"Yep, I am pretty nervous. I don't wanna spoil it for Gabi, she's really happy right now,"

"You're not going to ruin it, Sierra is there to help," Calum said, "I am sure they are eager to meet the person who has been looking after their daughter,"

"Yeah, hopefully. She's just really happy, for like the first time in so long. I honestly hadn't realised how sad she had been before, even before the surgery,"

"I do think she is starting to be okay again... but, I still think she does need therapy. Her mood swings are way too up and down," Ash said, "But I agree, it has been nice to see her with a smile on her face. She was glowing with her friends yesterday,"

"Yeah, I totally agree. She is gonna meet with one next week,"

"Good. She's been through so much bless,"

I shrugged and sipped on my water, wondering what she was doing right now. I really hoped she was looking after herself.

"Crystal and I are thinking of going away in a few weeks,"

"Anywhere nice?"

"No where special but out of town, it'll be nice. I think I am finding a better work- life balance,"

"That's always a good thing!"

My phone began to ring, so I excused myself and picked up, Gabi on the other end.

"Hello?"

"Dad, I don't feel too good,"

"What's up?"

"We are at the beach, everyone has just gone to get some more water, but I feel really crap. And hot. I am in the shade and I have only been in the shade but, I don't feel well,"

"How long are you guys staying?"

"I don't know but I haven't felt well for like an hour," she said, her voice wobbling, "But I don't wanna ruin it,"

"I am sure your friends will be understanding if you ask to leave soon, but if not then I will come with Cal and pick you up. Did you take your medicine?"