50

Luke

"Bagsy this room," Sierra shouted from down the hall, "I put my suitcase down!"

"Looks like you're sorted," Calum laughed, helping me bring the shopping in.

"Guess so. This place is lovely,"

"It is, I bet the kids are so excited,"

"Oh they are," Ash said, "We are gonna have to go and make sure they don't burn the place down, I have not seen so many giddy teenagers in my life,"

"Glad they're having fun,"

Mike and Crystal came in with their suitcases and went off to find their own room, then I grabbed the last bag and locked the car.

"Let's get the hot tub on,"

"Crystal, come here!"

"You've been summoned," I said, watching her head towards Sierra, "Mike, get the hot tub on,"

"Give me a second,"

Cal and I organised the kitchen, then put some music on the speaker and both cracked open a beer. It was mid afternoon, but it was out holidays.

Sierra came out in her bikini, then followed Crystal to choose hers- I was glad she had her own best friend in this group. My friends embraced her, but it was always extra nice to have someone familiar.

It was a bonus that Mike seemed head over heels.

"Ash, what did their food shop cost?"

"None of your business,"

"What did you spend on alcohol?" Calum asked, "That's the real question,"

"A sensible amount. I owed Gabi, for yanno, stabbing her in the back with a huge ass needle,"

"Shit, do I owe her?" Sierra asked, coming for a drink.

"Not unless she said,"

"What if I forgot?"

"You don't owe Gabi. Even if she says," I said.

"Not true. If she says, it goes,"

"Ash, you're not helping,"

"I'm just saying,"

I changed into swimming trunks and joined the girls sat outside, shutting my eyes as I soaked in the sun. Sierra rested her hand on my thigh as she chat away, and I finally felt some peace for the first time in forever.

Without Gabi, it did feel quite empty- she kind of gave us all purpose.

However, we got to let our hyper adult guard down a bit and have fun.

I needed fun.

"Board game?"

"Cluedo!"

"I vote cluedo too,"

"And me,"

Mike brought it to the table and we set it up, grabbing a piece of paper and a pencil each. It turned out Gabi had taken all of Mike's good games, so the rest of us had teamed up and brought ours.

We played a couple of rounds, then the hot tub had heated up more, so we got in there. Sierra sat on my lap, and I put my arms round her, then we all just spoke.

Not about Gabi, or work - about our lives.

It felt like it had been such a long time since we all just spoke about our lives.

Granted most of it did revolve around Gabi and work, but it was nice to hear how everyone felt, and I felt so much closer again.

I guessed I had pushed people away, or at least their personal lives.