𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈

Chapter Fifty-Seven:
𝐈𝐧 𝐖𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐀 𝐓𝐨𝐚𝐝 𝐁𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐀 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐨𝐫

┌──────────────────────┐

└──────────────────────┘

❝ 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐲... ❞

─────𝐑𝐨𝐧 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲

First, it was the carriages.

The Thestrals were there. Usually, they are just an outline that she could barely see, but good enough to make her want to crawl into bed with hundreds of blankets to get rid of the cold feeling. But not this time. This time, she could see them completely.

They were completely fleshless, their black coats clinging to their skeletons, of which every bone was visible. Their heads were dragonish, and their pupil-less eyes white and staring. Wings sprouted from each wither — vast, black leathery wings that looked as though they ought to belong to giant bats.

When she walked up to the carriage, she wasn't paying much attention, mostly just listening to whatever nonsense Thomas was talking about to make them both feel better. (He talks a lot when he's nervous, which, in Accalia's opinion, is valid for the situation.)

Antonio had his arm around Accalia's shoulder to ground the both of them—he had finally shown up to the compartment twenty minutes before they had landed at Hogsmeade. He claimed it was "prefect duties" but that can only go so far when Accalia was with the HeadBoy.

Nonetheless, they approached the carriage and Accalia froze once they were seated. The Thestral was eyeing her as it knew her like they were friends for years. It creeped Accalia out, but she felt drawn to it more than before.

"You can see them too."

Accalia snapped her head over to Thomas in shock, "What? I—What?"

"The Thestrals," he said calmly, humming as he looked at the creepy horse reptile with wings. "I've been able to see them since second year when my grandpa died."

Antonio and Accalia both glanced over at the animals. They never talked about it. According to Antonio, the two boys brought it up to the brothers and thought they were just crazy. They couldn't see them, so from then on, Antonio and Thomas never paid attention to them, always sitting with their backs to them. But now, without Noah and Cedric, they couldn't help it.