Chapter Fifty One

Start from the beginning

"Reapers?"

"Reapers."

"Before Cas disappeared did he happen to tell you how many?"

Dean's gaze cast to me, he moves to radio "From the way he was staring around the street I'm going to say they were everywhere."

"I do not like the sound of that."

Redirecting the radio back to him, Dean asserts sharply "Nobody likes that sound of that Bobby but what does that sound like?"

"It sounds like death, son. I think Satan is in town to work a ritual- unleash death."

"As in this dude and taxes are a sure thing?"

"The Horseman", I overlap Dean's comment, leaning my weight off my leg and against the shelves "The pale rider in the flesh."

Furrowing his brows, Dean shakes his head with the claim "Isn't death already tromping around the joint?"

"Not like this", I assure Dean with an abrupt edge to my voice, "They kept this guy chained in a box six hundred feet under. The last time he was hauled up Noah was building his boat." With a hesitant glance out the windows of the hardware store, I admit "Would explain the Reapers. They're waiting on their boss to show up to work."

Dean's face slackening with distress I tighten my fingers around his. His grip matched my intensity. As if this situation could've become any worse. "Well, do you have any other good news?"

"Well in a manner of speaking. I've been researching Carthage since you've been gone. Trying to sus out what the Devil might want there. What you said just drops the last piece of the puzzle." Bobby sounds to be slamming shut a book, a minor thud heard over the line as he recites "The Angel of death must be brought into this world at midnight through a place of awful carnage."

Grimacing, I mutter "Sounds fantastic."

"Back during the civil war there was a battle in Carthage. A battle so intense the soldiers called it The Battle of Hell Hole.

Radio to his lips, Dean hesitantly questions "Where'd the massacre go down?"

"The land of William Jaspers farm."

So we get out of here and get to that farm. However, how do we pull Jo out of this with us? As if coming full circle, Dean's attention falters back to me with a similarly grim expression. "We take her", Dean stresses to me, "And we run like hell."

"And if we don't make it?"

"You did say you'd follow me to hell", Dean reminds me, a daring smirk faltering on his lips "You still mean it?" I quietly chuckle but it's far from authentic. Noticing, Dean falters at a loss "What better plan is there El? Our window on the Devil is closing and we need to get Jo to a hospital with people actually in it." Tongue skimming over my teeth I curtly nod. Dean's right. It's the only shot we've got.

{}{}{}

"We just have to get past eight or so hellhounds to get to the farm by midnight" Sam whimsically conders our dumb plan. Signing off to Bobby we'd come out here to tell them what we've found out Our new...not so bright...insane... plan of attack. "And we do that after we get Ellen, Jo, and El out of the town-"

"Um, including me was never a part of the plan."

Unbelievably, Sam glares down at me with an exasperated glower "Your thigh has literally been torn up. You're lucky you're even walking upright." Deciding to argue my point later, I watch Sam spare Jo an uneasy glance as Ellen fusses over her daughter's wound "It's not going to be easy."