The Interview (Virat-Jassi)

Jasprit Bumrah had just finished reading Parthiv Patel's latest interview about him and Virat.

Virat had apparently said, 'Chhor na yaar. Ye Bumrah-Vumrah kya karenge?' (Leave it. What will such players do?" before the 2014 IPL auctions, when PP had suggested that RCB should have a look at him.

That hurts, Jassi thought, even though he knew that was silly.

Virat didn't know him back then. Virat was a different person all together, and Jassi had not met him, ever.  Why did it still feel so bad?

Jassi, being as sensible as ever, decided to go to Virat. He went to Virat's room, and entered without knocking like always.

Virat was facing the other side, and talking to  Anushka, "Yeah, of course, babe. I will, don't worry. Yeah, love you, too...". He turned when he heard the door open.

Jassi overheard a bit of the conversation, and realized that he was interrupting Virat at the wrong time.

"I'm sorry, bhai, I'll come back later", he whispered, embarrassed.

"No, no, it's fine", Virat told him, before saying on the phone, "I'll call you later, okay?"

As soon as Virat disconnected the call, Jassi spoke up, "I should've knocked, bhai. I didn't mean to disturb you. I'm sorry, I can come back later if you want."

"Arre, I told you, it's perfectly fine. Chalo, tell me, what's up? I'm getting the feeling you're here on a mission."

Jassi realized that he had not thought this through. What was he supposed to tell Virat bhai? That he wanted to discuss what Virat had said 8 years ago, which was no longer relevant?

"Er- no, just like that, bhai", he stammered.

"Really?", Virat raised a brow, "You can tell me anything, you know that, right?"

"It's stupid."

"I don't mind that."

"Alright, bhai", Jassi sighed, "I just- er- you know when you said that 'yeh Bumrah- vumrah kya bowling krenge'? I know that's long, long ago... But I felt bad. I know I'm being stupid. I can't help feeling this way."

"Oh, yeah. Oh, no", Virat rubbed his temples, "When will old me stop causing problems for new me?"

Jassi chuckled softly.

Virat sighed, and continued, "See, I'm sorry for what I said back then. And you totally proved me wrong, too. I was your first IPL wicket, remember? Please, don't feel bad about that."

Jassi quickly said, "Yeah, of course not, bhai. Just- I didn't want to keep it in my mind. It's better to talk it out. You always say that."

"Yeah, I do, Jas. Remember that I'm very, very proud of you. And nothing can change that, okay?", Virat smiled.

Jassi smiled brightly, and hugged Virat.