Bhaiya (Jassi-Rahul)

It had been just a few weeks since KL and Jassi had met.

"Rahul bhai, Virat bhai is calling you down for dinner", Jassi would knock on KL's door and say everyday.

"Rahul bhaiya, how are you?"
"Bhai, do you want to play Fifa with us?"
"Rahul bhaiya, help me find my keychain, please?", Jassi would say.

KL was used to being the youngest in the team, and it felt weird having someone else call him 'bhaiya'. After a few days of this, he decided he had had enough and went to Jassi's room in the evening.

He knocked on the door. Jassi opened and said sweetly, "Hi, bhaiya. How are you?"
"Hey, Jassi. I'm good", KL replied. Their conversations still felt formal at times. They stared at each other in a very awkward silence for a few seconds.

Then, Jassi said, "Oh, come on in bhaiya, why're you still out?"
KL entered. He was wondering how to talk to Jassi about it. Should I get straight to the point? Make small talk first? No- I'm awful at that. Why am I worrying so much? It's just a small thing, we can talk about it and sort it out...

Jassi interrupted his thoughts, "Er- bhai, why have you- er- come here?"

He immediately realized how rude that sounded and said, "No, I mean, of course I like spending time with you. Just, like, any specific reason you came here, or just like that?"

"Yeah, I know what you mean", KL smiled, "Er- Jassi- I'm just a year older than you."

"Okay, yeah, I know that", Jassi was clearly confused now.

"You do? Then why do you keep calling me 'bhaiya'?"

"Because you're older. And more experienced. And I respect you. That's why", Jassi said earnestly.

KL was at a loss of words for a moment, and Jassi misunderstood the silence to be annoyance.

"I didn't think it bothers you. Does it? I'm sorry, I didn't want to make you uncomfortable. I won't call you 'bhaiya' if you don't like it", Jassi said apprehensively.

"No, of course it doesn't. Just that- I'm not used to it. But I guess I like it, and I could get used to it", KL said warmly.

"Okay, bhaiya", Jassi grinned.

"You want to watch a movie?", KL asked.

"Yeah! Can I pick?"

KL smiled and nodded.

And that was the beginning of a very special bond. As they grew closer, the formal air and the awkwardness between them disappeared. Jassi mostly called KL 'bhai', but sometimes he didn't, and Rahul liked it equally both ways.

A/N: This is a short and sweet OS for you, @user36971674 :)!