Assurance (Rohit-Rahul)

It was a disaster. 

"There's no kinder way of putting it- I was a disaster as captain", Kl Rahul mumbled on the phone.

"That's not true, kiddo. It wasn't that bad", Rohit said from the other end.

"Yeah, losing the first four matches you captain for India isn't that bad. You're right, Ro", he replied with heavy sarcasm.

Rohit doesn't deserve this. There's no reason you should be so rude to him,  the voice in his head told him. He ignored it.

"Er- it isn't ideal, sure, but it's not the end of the world either."

"It definitely seems to be."

"Well, then, listen to me. First of all, stop blaming yourself. All of us didn't play well. It's not just your fault."

"If it were Virat or you, heck, if it were any other captain in the world, we wouldn't have lost so badly."

"That's not true", Rohit sighed.

"What if I'm just a really bad captain, Ro?"

"They'll sack you"

"Alright, that's it, I'm ending this call."

"No, wait, wait", Ro laughed from the other end, "I didn't mean that"

"Whatever", KL grumbled.

"See, kiddo, even if you're not a born leader, you're a quick learner. You've got me, and Virat, and Mahi Bhai, and most importantly- me. I'm leading the team for at least a while, and I'll tell you all the tricks of the trade. You'll get better in no time", Rohit said, only half jokingly.

"You really think so?" Rahul hated how small and unsure his voice sounded.

"Yeah. I know so."

"Thanks, Ro."

"Yeah, yeah, now can I sleep in peace?"

"I think Virat's about to call you, but yeah, what's the harm in trying?"

"Ugh, I'll put my phone on silent and ignore those calls"

"Don't. Do you want to start World War 3?"

"Fine, fine. Get some rest, and don't overthink, okay?"

"Thanks again, Ro."

"Always", Rohit smiled.