Chapter 25

At the court

   I take a deep breath and whip my sweaty palms against my shorts. I'm already freaking out and the trial hasn't even started yet. Secure hands wrap around my waist. 

   "Babe. Stop. It's going to be okay. Everything is going to be--" 

   "AMBER!" I shout interrupting Jace. Directly down the hall from where we're standing is a man holding Amberlee. At the sound of my voice she turns her head towards me and my eyes meet hers. I pull myself out of Jace's arms and run towards the guy and Amber. 

   "Your Cecilia Hawking?" the guy asks looking shocked at me. His eyes rack my body up and down but instead of feeling shy I actually feel violated. Like he's looking at me naked almost. 

   "Yes." I say reaching out and taking my baby from him. He makes no protest as I take Amberlee from his arms. He just keeps on staring at me. I want some privacy here! Can't he understand that? Thankfully Jace walks up behind me. 

   "Hey babe." He says pecking me on the cheek but never once taking his eyes off of Mr. Creeper. Jace clears his throat gaining the guy's attention. "Can we help you?" Jace asks not too politely. 

   "No." The guy says simply. Jace glares at the guy for a few seconds before wrapping his arms around my waist and stepping back a a few steps. I follow suit and soon we are a good 4 meters or so away from the guy. 

   "He's creepy." Jace says simply. 

   "Your telling me." I say looking at the guy who is still checking me out. Jace notices and steps in the guys way so now he can't see me. "thanks." I say looking down at Amberlee. "Hey you." I say blinking back tears. They aren't sad tears. They are happy tears. I watch as Amber's eyes light up when she looks at both me and Jace. 

   "Long time no see kiddo." Jace says taking Amberlee's hand. I almost want to leave right now. Just skipping the whole damn trial and taking Amberlee home but I know if I do that I'll only be making our situation worse. 

   "OH MY GOD AMBER!!!!" Shouts a voice down the hall. I look over my shoulder and see our 'group' of supporters. They all rush down the hall like a pack of wild animals earning glares from some of the people in the hallway. I quickly shush them so that we don't get into anymore trouble. They slow their paces to a speed walk and crowd around Jace, Amberlee and I. We all look down at Amberlee with loving expressions. I smile and shake my head. 

   "Who would have though we would be all standing here fighting for a baby when about a year ago we hated each others guts.'' I say with a laugh. Everyone nods their head in agreement. Except Chloe who tries to look smug. 

   "I did!" She says proudly. I look at her with a 'sure you did' look. 

   "Yeah right." I say my voice dripping with sarcasm. Right before Chloe can respond I hear Zeke's voice down the hall. 

   "Okay, okay what's going on here why is everyone crowded around Ci-Ci?" Zeke says approaching us. Freddy and Chloe move out of the way so that Zeke can see me and Amberlee. His face breaks out into a smile as he looks at her. 

   "So this is the allusive Amberlee I've heard so much about." Zeke murmurs as he looks down at her. 

   "Yup. This is she." I say watching Zeke's reaction. He looks at Amberlee for a long time until his face breaks out into a smile. "What?" I ask suspiciously not liking the smug smile on his face. He looks at me still smiling. 

   "I was right." was all he said before looking back down at Amberlee. 

   "Right about wha--" I stop when I see the creeper guy standing behind my brother. "Can we help you?" Everyone turns and looks at the guy but he keeps his gaze on me.