(7) Running in circles and walking on winding roads

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Wait...who was I to judge Daniel when I was letting Dale affect me like this? I was turning into a hypocrite.

Then there was Lillian, I do admitted that it wasn't good to make fun of her 'passion', but she was a push over and I had concluded that it was better for my health if I stayed away from her. Though it seemed unlikely that I could avoid her forever.

The only normal person in the group was Lee Adams, though I didn't get a chance to talk to him properly.

Ugh, it had been two weeks since I came and I was already getting headaches. Just as I was rubbing my temples the shop opposite to the tea's place got my attention.

Coffee...I needed coffee.

I crossed the road and half ran towards the shop, feeling a bit relieved that at least something normal was going on with the day.

The shop was fancy looking and a sweet aroma surrounded it. I climbed the steps in haste and almost crashed into the person standing at the door, his back on me. I didn't need to see his face to realize it was Derrick Carson — oh,Lillian's family owned this place! How could I forget?

The one with the scowl...

Why was Derrick Carson popping out everywhere nowadays? I didn't even know the guy and thanks to Carmen, I was already feeling scared of him. He had that sort of aura which warned people away before they could approach him, a mixture of intimidation and authority. On top of the impression I had in my mind, he happened to be Lillian's cousin.

And he was locking the shop.

I watched him pull out the keys and pocket them, realizing the situation. He was closing the Should I stop him? Tell him I need coffee? No, that would make me look beyond desperate, we weren't best friends that he would open it again for me. Should I greet him?

'Hey dude, I gave you that candle in the church, remember?'

What was wrong with my brain cells? I never used to think this much before talking to a person. Derrick Carson was a human being for crying out loud, sure he had a scary vibe but he won't eat me alive.

''Er...'' He turned then and took a step back, his green eyes narrowed and his face quickly changed into a scowl. The legendary scowl, I corrected myself.

''You're that girl from the church.'' He pointed out, his voice was ... normal. A little annoyed, but otherwise normal. There was no other way to describe it, and if I was being honest what he said was quite ordinary as well.

''Hi'' I replied but my voice was low and squeaky, as if I was asking him a question instead of greeting him. Under normal circumstances I would've offered him a polite smile but thanks to the double glass doors I was aware of how ridiculous my face was looking; tear tracks running down my face and my makeup gone completely wrong thanks to the crying spree earlier. With my eyes swollen like that, how creepy would a smile look?

''You want something?'' he asked, his voice was a little rougher now, ''Lillian's not here.''

''I know, she was with us just now. Um but then she said she wanted to practice some more, she was left with Daniel and the guys. Wait no, there was Carmen as well. So they left and I came here because I wasn't feeling very-'' he raised his hand, making me pause,

''What do you want?'' He half snarled,

I nearly sagged in relief, ''Coffee,'' I replied a bit too desperately, almost begging him, ''I'm having a shitty day and I NEED coffee, I don't know any other shops around here, most of them are closed anyways I-'' For a second time he raised his hand making me pause,