040 - ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

An immortal with a mortal soul. That was who I had turned into. A monster—with the heart of a human.

There had been a time, when I had wished to become as strong as the demon I grew to love. A time... where strength was all that had mattered. For a sister who...

A sister who no longer existed.

What a twisted change of fate, I mused to myself.

I was now given the strength, only for my sister to be taken from me.

Gone.

What was even worse—I'd almost forgotten her. Forgotten my life before. Forgotten Akaza.

So close. I had been so close to becoming the demon that Akaza had feared I would become.

He, himself, had told me of his own past. One that came back whilst his breaking free of the curse.

A love he had once had—as strong as the bond my sister and I had shared. Kumiko, the soul who would never hurt a fly.

We had both lost those who had meant so much to us. Who had altered the course of our lives.

In the end, it was just us, now.

Two demons with an eternity of time. And as the weeks passed, Akaza told me, more and more, about how he adjusted. How he had grown to long for power—how he had become the Upper Three.

Weeks had passed—weeks without any word from the one who had murdered my family.

No tug on a bond—no thread that Akaza claimed would have linked us. Must have linked us.

Neither of us mentioned it. A silent agreement we'd made, to live with what we had. Despite the two of us both aware that any moment together could be our last. The Demon King could take it all away. It was a fear that had us never remaining in the same spot for very long.

We trained. Profusely. If only to keep those fears at bay. Even if I had no one to train myself for except myself. My sister no longer.

It was another pain that I could not escape, even in my new body, my new life. But one I would not allow to take over me.

Even so, it hadn't stopped me from wondering why I felt nothing. Absolutely nothing from the King.