038 - ʀᴇʙᴏʀɴ

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

In death, there was nothing.

In death, there was only the endless void. Empty save for one's self. As dark as a star-less night sky.

But there was no more pain, no more sorrow. The void being my only companion now.

I did not mind it.

For I couldn't remember how I'd gotten here, how this void had come to be. But I still remembered an echo of pain—a betrayal that I'd so desperately wanted to escape from.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not recall what it had been.

But even so, I was now relieved that I did not have to feel such things anymore. That in the empty space, there was no more pain. And staring out into the darkness... I found that the darkness began to stare back.

Something rang, an echo that filtered in through the nothingness.

It sounded familiar somehow—that cry.

A cry of anguish. A bitterness that I could almost taste on my nonexistent tongue.

It was a sound that only grew louder. A scream, that was what it was. Though I was not sure how I knew that, how I knew that the sound was full of such pain...

Was there another? Another besides me inside this void?

The scream halted with an echoing hiss. As if a fire had been extinguished—and only ashes remained.

The sound was replaced with a voice, a muttering that grew louder. Though it only spoke a single word.

A name I felt as though I should remember, something that struck familiarity within me.

The voice was much softer than the scream. A voice that beckoned me further into the endless. A sound that pulled at my heart in a different way than that scream had.

That scream—

Come with me. Come with us.

Fade away into the emptiness. Become who you have always wished to be.

Nothing, I said towards the darkness. I wished to be nothing.