023 - ᴅᴇғᴇᴀᴛ

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

I'd sensed the demon as soon as the wind shifted, a strong aura of power coercing its way into my mind. Though I was only human myself, there was no doubt about it. The clearing had dissipated into a deadly calm—a dangerous fury that also entered Akaza's eyes as soon as he caught wind of the demonic presence as well.

When he had told me to run, I hadn't been expecting to obey him at first. I'd hesitated—a fool's mistake—if I were to guess correctly. Mere seconds could mean the difference between life and death in a situation such as this. But something about the way he'd said it...

He wasn't angry. Well, in a way, he was. But the other tone hinting at his voice... that was what had made me pause for those few precious seconds.

It was fear. Even if it was just the smallest amount—it was there. I could see it in his widening eyes when he'd asked me to run.

'Please,' he'd said.

That single word was probably what made up my choice—the end of the conflict as to whether I would stay and help him. But based on what he'd said about this demon...

Akaza hadn't been scared for himself. I knew that much was true.

And so for his sake... For his benefit and wellbeing, I decided to run, sprinting through the park by means of shoving away any worry I had for the demon I'd left behind.

No sounds came from the area—as if the trees themselves were watching what would partake between the two deadly beings amongst them, to figure out who would walk free.

If a battle really was to occur, running damn well was my best option. I wasn't going to pretend I had enough experience slaying demons.

Nothing—not a single noise was ushered from the area I'd left behind.

I swallowed my worry, focusing on finding my way back to the townhome.

Akaza had said he would meet me. There was nothing to worry about.

As I ran, it also became so very difficult to push away the guilt of leaving. The guilt of knowing I wasn't good enough to have been part of that fight anyway.

But Akaza's words came back to me. The look in his eyes. It was the only reason I had listened.

And so I used any and all speed that I could to find my way back—trusting the demon and his advice.