013 - ʜᴏᴘᴇ

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

"You're lighter now," Akaza stated, carrying me for what felt like the millionth time now. At least this time it was normal; I wasn't being tossed over his shoulder like a bag of junk.

I peered up at him through a sceptically raised brow. He didn't look at me as he said those few words, his eyes were only ahead of us—always focused, always aware of everything and anything that could happen.

"What do you mean lighter?" I inquired, not entirely sure what he would've meant by that.

He paused for a moment before replying. "Your weight," he then commented, casting a single downward glance towards me. "You've gotten lighter since last time I had to carry you."

I opened my mouth to respond, but honestly couldn't think of anything to say. I only stared upwards, watching his eyes scanning the forest whilst we made our way to the city.

"Well, you insisted on carrying me," I pointed out.

His lips turned upwards in the smallest bit. "Because you're slow—and we wouldn't make it in time otherwise." His smile was still up, only increasing with every word. "Didn't we discuss this already?"

I scrunched my face up into a frown, looking away from him. "Yeah, yeah, I know." I sighed, closing my eyes for a moment. "I still don't understand why we have to be there before the sun rises, anyway."

Well, that wasn't entirely true. I had a good inkling—somewhat of a theory—that I'd been forming over the last few weeks with him. In truth, I was just impatient and only wanted more information about what the hell was going to happen next.

"Yes you do," he said, shaking his head.

I peered up at him from under my lashes. The sky was beginning to lighten even as we spoke, and in the last ten minutes or so, Akaza had sped up his pace the slightest bit.

But just to be sure... "You demon's are incapable of being out in the sun," I stated, not entirely a question. "What—do you like... just die immediately?"

He laughed, his velvety voice so at odds with his demon identity. "Something like that," was all he gave me in return.

I glared. "I thought I was promised answers."

Another peek down at me, tearing his eyes off the clearing again. "You were—but I said I would once we arrive. Which, in case you haven't noticed, we haven't yet."