016 - ғʟᴀᴍᴇs

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

"Are there other demons that look the way you do?"

Akaza peered up at me from under his thick pink lashes, the small fire we'd set up by the river after yet another night of training had lit his usually glowing eyes into an even more intimidating and alluring gaze.

He raised a brow, shifting his position against the log we were both perched against. My legs against my chest, I turned my head against my knees to look at him.

"What do you mean by that?" He turned to me, taking his gaze away from the fire.

I shrugged, humming to myself while I thought. "I dunno, I suppose you're just... different from the other demons I've encountered." My eyes scanned from his pink hair and slowly down his half-naked body. "The way you look, it's so... interesting."

His brows scrunched together slightly at my words. "Is that so," he said, seemingly not interested in the conversation. That didn't bother me, though.

I was happy, sitting here with him by the fire.

My training seemed to be going well, even more so than normal—and it finally allowed me to believe that maybe I could atone for the way I'd been before. And that maybe... maybe there was a chance I could succeed.

The fire sparked, the embers and ash floating around our two figures. The white scarf I wore provided an even more comforting feeling.

As well, I'd meant what I'd said. Something about him had always intrigued me. I was enjoying watching him scanning the area around us, the flames dancing in his labeled eyes.

"Mhm," I said, our eyes locking together once more.

That arose another question I felt as though I always wished to ask.

"Your eyes," I began, and he tilted his head—one of his habits I began to pick up on. "They say 'upper three.' What does it mean?"

He stared at me for a moment, shifting his immortal stillness once again. Did the question make him uncomfortable somehow?

Akaza then looked away and back towards the fire with a long breath, opening his mouth to reply. "Well... I'm not entirely sure how to explain it."

I waited patiently for his information, keeping my cheek resting on its side as I watched him—unaware of anything else in that moment.