Random prompts part 7

Prompt game, you know how it works ahah.

----------------

1: It should have been me

Peter sighed as he watched his little brother sleep, gently brushing the hair from his eyes from where he sat on the edge of the bed. 

He had been so, so happy that they'd been able to rescue his brother, after all he didn't know what he'd do without him, but now that he had him back, he couldn't help but feel guilty, after all Edmund had been captured protecting him, tortured because he had wanted to keep Peter safe, and Peter felt guilt beyond words. 

He sat with him for a while before Edmund eventually woke, his eyes flickering open as he coughed weakly, blinking a few times and glancing around, confused until his eyes fell on his brother. "P - Pete?" He whispered. 

Peter nodded slowly. "Yeah, it's me, you're home." He said quietly. "How you feeling?" 

Edmund sighed. "I'm guessing you gave me Lucy's cordial." He asked. 

Peter nearly laughed. "Of course." He muttered. "Ed, you'd been tortured." 

Edmund swallowed hard and sighed, slowly sitting up. "I guess so." He whispered. 

Peter bit his lip. "I am sorry, you know." He murmured after a while of silence. 

Edmund frowned. "What for?" He asked. 

Peter swallowed. "It should've been me." He choked out, shaking his head. "You saved me, you protected me and you got tortured because of it, It should've been me."

"Don't be silly Peter." Edmund told him gently. "I would quite happily save you any time." 

Peter sighed. "And that's what scares me." He whispered. 

Edmund hesitated. "Look, you're my older brother." He said. "After everything you've done for me from the second I was born, the least I can do is save you from any undeserved and unneeded pain."

Peter stared at him for a long while before moving across and pulling him close. "I still think it should've been me." He mumbled as he hugged his little brother. 

Edmund smiled sadly. "I know you do." He whispered, before burying his face against Peter's chest and eventually, after a long while, drifting back off into a deep sleep.

2: Poison

Peter couldn't help the tears that filled his eyes as he pushed down on the wound in Edmund's side, hoping to stop the blood flow. 

"That - That's not - not gonna help." Edmund slurred. "P - Poison will kill me - me anyway." 

Peter shook his head. "Don't say that Ed." He whispered, voice choked. 

Edmund swallowed thickly. "T - True though." He breathed, before grabbing Peter's hand. "I - I love you." 

"Edmund stop it." Peter snapped firmly. "You are not going to die." 

"I - I've been poisoned Pete." Edmund whispered in reply. "I'm dying."

"You - You can't be." Peter said, so quietly Edmund barely heard him. 

Edmund shook his head a little. "I am." He murmured. "Tell - Tell the girls I love them-" His breath hitched and he coughed a few times, swallowing the blood quickly before continuing. "And - And I love you too, all of you more - more than anything. Promise me you'll - you'll carry on?"

"How can I?" Peter all but sobbed. "Without you..." 

Edmund smiled weakly. "You'll find a way." He choked. "I know you will."