Not what we hoped for - Part two

"I'm afraid, we think his spine may be fractured..."

"What?" Peter choked, hardly able to get the word passed his lips.

The healer didn't know what to say so instead just nodded his head. "He landed hard your majesty." He mumbled eventually. "I'd be surprised if it wasn't."

Peter swallowed hard. "It - it can't be." He whispered. "No."

The healer gave him a sad smile before turning to Susan. "We need to take him back to the castle, the tide will be all the way in in a minute." He explained.

"Can you do that without hurting him?" Susan asked slowly.

"We will try our best." The healer replied with a bow of his head.

"What - What about my cordial?" Lucy spoke up, voice quiet and timid, hope in her bright blue eyes.

"You can try it." The healer nodded. "There's a fifty, fifty chance it will work. If it does heal his spine though, it probably wont heal the rest of the broke bones seeming as all its concentration will be focused on healing the spine."

Peter's heart skipped a beat. "The rest?" He choked.

The healer sighed. "I'm afraid he has a few broken ribs and quite possibly a dislocated shoulder." He told him. "The shoulder can easily be put back into place, but the ribs will take a lot longer to heal."

Peter took a deep breath, and his heart broke when Edmund weakly called his name.

"Go to your brother, keep him calm." The healer said quietly. "We will prepare to take him back to the castle."

Peter nodded and quickly ran back over to Edmund, falling to his knees beside him. "Ed?" He murmered, trying not to sound as scared as he felt.

"Pete." Edmund choked, grabbing hold of his hand. "It hurts!"

"I know Ed," Peter murmered. "But you have to be brave okay?"

Edmund weakly shook his head. "Why - why can't I feel my legs?!" He choked, a sob escaping him.

"Shhh." Peter whispered. "It's nothing the cordial can't fix okay?"

Edmund let out another sob. "I don't like it." He cried.

"I know." Peter mumbled, running a hand through Edmund's dark hair. "But you'll be alright soon, just wait until you've had the cordial, I promise you're gonna be just fine."

"Now." Edmund choked.

"Ed they need to move you before the tide comes up." Peter explained.

A third sob escaped Edmund. "I don't like it." He repeated. "Not - Not again, please not again!"

Peter breath caught in his chest. "What - What do you mean?" He choked. "Ed what do you mean not again?"

Edmund let out a sob and shook his head.

"Edmund what do you mean?" Peter repeated, his voice firm.