High fly

It was the next day, early morning. The grass was wet with sparkling droplets of dew that made the ground look like someone had spilled a sack of diamonds. Ruby couldn't help herself from bending down to try and pick them up, but all she managed to do was get a pair of wet hands and a pouty face. Weiss held in a giggle. "This can't possibly fail!" Yang piped up, smile plastered to her face, as they approached a brown stitched pile of leather. What Yang was referring to was a saddle. THE saddle. The one Blake had nearly killed herself the last few nights to finish stitching up. It was a rather large thing, with many tightly tied ropes and sewn buckles and belts. It looked as though Blake had tried to make it as safe as possible. But Weiss was still looking at Ruby, ignoring the saddle.

Weiss felt a looming presence behind her, and saw that Yang had shifted to dragon form while she'd taken a moment to watch Ruby. She barely flinched. Weiss was beginning to get used to having dragons suddenly appear next to her.

"Alright, roll over and I'll try to get this on you again." Blake said, motioning for Yang to pay attention to her. Yang obliged, and while Blake musseld about with straps and ropes on Yang, Weiss turned to Ruby again. Ruby'd abandoned her human posture and was on her hands and knees, becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of success she was having at garbing the sparkly wet ground things.

"Here, give me your hand." Weiss knelt down beside her and took hold of Ruby's hand. First she wiped it off and blew on it gently to dry it, and then used her finger to gather small droplets of water and dab them against Ruby's palm. When held up to the morning sun, they glinted beautifully. Ruby smiled, admiring her hand. "It's just water. But it looks like a jewl, doesn't it?" Weiss said, captivated by her smile. Ruby nodded enthusiastically. "Don't get to attached, it'll disappear in a few minuets even if you're carful." Weiss stood up and stretched.

"I wonder if that's also a form of magic?" Ruby said softly.

"Hm?"

"There are so many things I don't understand. And half of them you guys can't even explain to me. As long as no one understands it, that counts as magic right?" Ruby's silver eyes gleamed like jewels in the morning light, much like the dew when she turned her head to face Weiss.

Weiss blinked, and raised a hand to put on her cheek to cover a blush. "I... Suppose it is. Yes."

Ruby put her non water drop covered hand on the grass to help lift herself back up to standing, but yelped in pain when she did. "Ow!! What??!! The grass bit me!!" She clasped her hand to her chest.

"What? How?? it's grass!!" Weiss said in disbelief. Ruby showed Weiss the offended hand. A small sliver of what appeared to be wood stuck out of Ruby's palm. "You got.. A stick stuck in your hand?" Said Weiss, the girl who had never heard of a splinter before.

"Human bodies are the worst!!" Ruby complained. "Everything that bites HURTS!! When I'm a dragon biting never hurts unless its from a sword or another dragon!!"

"What, do you not like being human?" Weiss asked, half joking half serious. She really did have to wonder sometimes, despite what Ruby said. She was OK with this right? Traveling together? Weiss wasn't just stringing her along? As those thoughts raced about in her head, the complete opposite bopped around in her mind as well. She's the one following you! She chose that! She can leave whenever! God. Why are you even thinking about this?

Ruby looked down and pouted angrily, mumbling about the fragility of human skin while Weiss held out a hand to help her stand. Blake came jogging over. "I got the saddle on her. Come over so I can strap you two in it."

"Blakeeeee the grass bit meeeee!" Ruby cried dramatically as she bounded over shoved her hand in Blake's face.

Blake stared. "Oh. A splinter."