Chapter one- Ember

Grace. That was all Ember needed. Her, and her warmth. He'd lived with her for over a year now; and he was happy with it. Whenever he was around her, the world lit up, even when it was pouring down rain. She had black hair, with boing-y curls at the end, with a tint of blue (from her mother who has dark blue hair). She had bangs. One of her eyes was dark brown, the other was a bright green-hazel. She was wearing a flippy shirt that changed when you rubbed it. On one side was the word "Fearless," the other was "Flower". He didn't really get it, except that Grace was fearless and liked flowers. She wore black leggings and a smile. She always wore a smile. Even when it was a horrible day (which was kind of often, if Ember did say so himself); That was one of the things Ember liked about her. Grace lived in a small cabin hidden in a small clearing surrounded by trees, behind a lake. He didn't need to be hidden. He was already safe. Safe with Grace. So why was she hiding him in her backpack? Who knows? No one. Except her. He couldn't help but wish he could read her mind. "Grace, why do I need to be here? It stinks!" He wrinkled his beak at the smell of paper and sharpies. "Shhhhhhhh!" Grace said, "I don't need your loud squawking in class today!" Ember hated it when Grace made strong points. Especially when they didn't make any sense. Her mom, Zahra Kane, now Zahra Fohlde, knew that the two couldn't live without each other, so why did she say no to bringing him? And besides, who wouldn't like a bird like him? Sure, he was different, but isn't that why Grace liked him? He looked at his claws, which Grace had forgotten to cut yesterday. But he couldn't tell her. All she could hear was him squawking. Or so he thought. He had a small memory of her talking to him. He was about to explain what a Reminance was but didn't. He'd told her to wake up. Why didn't I tell her? I can't remember...

"Almost there, then you can be free to go to the bathroom." Grace said, "Once we get to class, you will not go wandering off to who knows where. Do NOT get caught! And don't you dare go to the bathroom inside the school." Grace said.

"I KNOW. You've told me that, like, A MILLION TRILLION TIMES," Ember liked her and all, but when she said the same boring things over and over and over and OVER again, it got on his nerves. And here he was, inside of her backpack, alone with the nasty stench of paper and markers and pencils.

A thrumming noise arose from outside Grace's backpack. It soothed him, but not Grace, "I'm sorry Ember, you might get jostled a little," The backpack shook violently as Grace ran, "Almost there," Grace panted.

I don't know if this is selfish, but I REALLY wish I stayed home today, Ember thought, as Grace took a turn. Ember's stomach twisted painfully. I feel sick...

"G-good morning M-Mrs. Wornia," Grace said, still panting, "for Showing Happiness this morning I brought an animal, is that okay?"

There was silence until a creaky old voice answered, "That's fine as long as you have the form with your parent's signature."

Grace sat down, rattling the bag a little. She slid it down her arm carefully and leaned it against something hard, "Here," Grace said, unzipping her backpack, and pulling out the letter.

So that's what that is, Ember thought to himself. Grace had faked her mother's signature by tracing it off one of her mother's electrician bills.

"Thank you, Grace. I hope you brought us something different this time," Mrs. Wornia said, "Everyone brings in cats, dogs (yuck), and fish."

Ember heard her walk off, "Ember, you better not need to go to the bathroom until recess, understand? Because then you'd have to hold it in for a while." Grace whispered down to him. Why would I? You just threatened me to go to the bathroom! Ember curled up at the bottom of the bag and tried to sleep, but he knew sleep was a long time to come.