"I agree," she said, looking at Gabi asleep, "She really is beautiful, she looks just like you, you know? She is just like you,"

Hearing people say that made me proud. Not in some big ego way of thinking that being like me was amazing, but Gabi being like me meant I had taught her all the lessons I knew ready for her to learn some more of her own. She was independent, and intelligent, and likeable (most of the time).

It was lame, but we were each other's best friend. Even if I had no one else in the world, I would have my daughter.

And being a father was the one thing in my life I would never give up. I couldn't.

"She is, isn't she?"

"You know, I feel like I have seen a different side of you ever since I spent time at your home. You're much more gentle than you act at work,"

"You haven't seen me when my patient is a kid,"

"That's different. Anyway, she is waking up now and she probably doesn't wanna see me,"

I watched as Gabi stirred, then rubbed her eyes and bundled up in the blanket, yawning. When she opened her eyes, she looked at me, then moved to Sierra and she grinned.

"You look perky,"

"I had a good dream,"

"Well that's brilliant. Do you fancy some lunch?"

"I wanna go home,"

"Can we eat first?"

"No,"

I chuckled and nodded, closing my laptop; Sierra got off my lap and awkwardly shuffled towards Gabi, then gave her a hug, but it wasn't  returned so she let go and left.

"Not in a hugging mood?" I asked as we headed out the office.

"Not for her,"

"Oh. Well that's okay, let's get going,"

"I'm gonna do some work at home,"

"I'll probably go and cut the grass, I have your new medicine,"

"Yay," she said dryly, "How fun,"

"It should be more fun, but perhaps less fun for a few days,"

"Mhm,"

"Sierra is gonna stay,"

"Oh. And Ashton can come round please?"

"You can ask him, why Ashton?"

"You and Sierra can have a date,"

"That's very thoughtful, but I want to look after you,"

"I feel bad,"

"Gabriella Hemmings, do not feel bad that your own father is looking after you after major surgery,"

I pushed her out to the car park and we got in the car, then when we got home, I made us some lunch.

Today, we settled for the sofa, and watched tv as we ate.

After the episode, she picked up her laptop, so I went outside and cut the grass since the weather was decent. Plus, it gave her some time alone, which she definitely needed.

I went upstairs to shower, then she called me downstairs and held out her car keys to me.

"Please can you drive my car?"

"I cannot, I am not insured,"

"What? Oh. Okay then,"

"You can probably drive next week,"

"Yoga?"

"Not yet. We can go on a drive in my car?"

"No, it's fine,"

"I'm sorry darling, I know you want to get back to school and everything, but being patient now will be the best thing,"

"Maybe we could bake instead?"

"Sierra will be here in an hour, do you wanna wait?"

"No,"

She walked to the kitchen, so I followed and we chose a recipe, then I got out the ingredients and put the radio on.

Gabi was a notoriously awful baker.

So bad that not even Mike could eat it, and he always tried to be on her side.

However, if I managed to intervene, it was edible.

While she baked, she was in her own world, bopping to the music as she clumsily threw ingredients in. I then added what she missed, then stirred it as she wiped the counters, choosing what tin she wanted.

She opted for one big round cake, then lined it, and I poured the mixture in.

"Can you take a photo for me to send to Maddox?"

"Now? Or when it's baked?"

"Both," she said cheerfully, "I hope it rises. Do you think people will like it?"

"I hope so,"

I took the photo and put it in the oven, then helped her onto the counter to wait. She swung her legs and showed me some videos she had seen that made her laugh, then continued to giggle to herself after.

But it was more than that, it was a laugh like before her surgery. And each day, she was starting to get back to that state, or even better.

She was less pale, she had gained an appetite which meant she was able to maintain weight, and I had noticed the focus she gave her school work was a lot better.

Now, she was properly starting to look her age.

"It's done,"

"Mind out then,"

I took the cake out and she clapped, then made me take another photo of her.

"Can we decorate?"

"It has to cool,"

"But I wanna do it before Sierra is here,"

"Sierra won't help if you don't want, even if she is here,"

"I meant so she is surprised by a nice cake,"

"Oh,"

"I guess I have been giving mixed signals," she mumbled, "Sorry,"

"It's part of the process, you can decorate the cake and I will keep her busy. I am sure she will absolutely love it,"

——-
me myself & i mv... MASTERPIECE??!!