I ended up being dragged into drying Gabi's hair while she did her makeup, then I helped her straighten it too. Once when she was younger she had a school disco, and desperately wanted it straightened because someone on tv had been doing it. I found a cheap pair online and did it for her, and it was such a special moment for me.

I wasn't sure why, but it had connected us in a different way. Perhaps because I realised she was growing up, or maybe because she trusted me to do her hair. Maybe because it was something stereotypical of a mum.

Whatever it was, she felt it too because she came back and back and back to me for straight hair, and that was when we had the awkward conversations about puberty, and boys, and school. I think she heard of the girls at school doing this and that with their mums.

It was also the start of our shopping trips, and playing video games, and yoga- just doing things together. I was busy at work so much that she used to be left with some colouring or dolls, but it changed things- as silly as it was to say.

I really, really tried to do my best, and I believed I had succeeded in bringing up a well rounded person.

"Dad,"

"Yeah?"

"Will I be well enough for the cabin?"

"I think so, but it's not too far so I am on standby,"

"Okay. I need a swimming costume,"

"Does that mean we get to shop?"

"Yeah," she said, "I want a go at buying alcohol,"

"Oh right,"

"Please?"

"I guess you can, don't tell grandma,"

"I won't,"

"You also can't drink it yet," I said, turning off the hair straighteners.

"What about when I'm away with my friends?"

"Are they all 18?"

"If you never ask the question you can't be in the wrong,"

"That's not true. The 18 year olds can drink, yes,"

She grinned and came to sit with me on the bed, resting in my side for a bit as we waited for the doorbell to ring.

When it did, I took her downstairs and answered, everyone rushing in.

"Gabi!" Jack exclaimed, "How's my favourite niece?"

"Here's my boy!" Dad said, hugging me, "How are you doing?"

"I brought food!"

"Where's Ben?"

"Getting Gabriella's gifts,"

Mum went past me to put the food in the kitchen, then went to shower Gabi with all the affection in the world as Ben struggled to bring in a large box.

"What's all this?"

"You know what mum's like, she's 18, that's big,"

Ben, dad and I went into the living room to see Gabi looking helpless as mum fussed about, but we all knew better than to stop it.

She reached out for my dad- she had a soft spot for him- and then they sat together as the rest of us sat around. Mum perched the other side of her, for she was very fond of Gabi, however Gabi found the smothering a bit too much.

Mum had always been a stable figure in her life and I was extremely grateful, but she hated Gabi growing up more than I did and it showed.

"Would anyone like a drink?"

"A coffee would be great,"

"I'll make them," Ben said, "I don't know if anyone has told you but you look rough, and like you need a coffee,"

"Uncle Ben, please can I have a coffee?"

"No you cannot," I said, "She can have water,"

"I'm not thirsty anymore,"

My dad laughed and she grinned, resting on his side.

"So what's been going on in your life?"

"Not much,"

"I think there's been a bit more than 'not much' ,"

"Nothing much good,"

"Well how do you feel after surgery? Better?"

"Yes but also no. I feel sick in a different way,"

"Oh,"

"She just needs to rest, and adjust to the meds. It wasn't the easiest recovery which is why we didn't really text any updates, it was a bit of a blur," I said, "But we are getting there,"

"You've got this," mum said to her, brushing the hair from her face, "Oh you do look grown up now. It's not fair. You'll be going off to uni soon and then what?"

"She says that everytime," Jack said, "Are you going to uni or taking a gap year? Or gap... however long you want,"

"Um, I don't know yet. I've got to see if I get an interview but if not I think I will take more classes and go next year,"

"Sounds like a plan. Here is your coffee, mum,"

Ben sat beside me and slung his arm round me, passing me a cup as well.

"Any other news? Any relationships?" Jack said, wiggling his eyebrows, "Or is it all school?"

"Um,"

She looked over at me for help and I gave her a smile, but she was going red.

"Are you okay chic?"

"Yeah I just don't feel too good all of a sudden, I'll be back in a moment,"

She stood and left, so I waited a couple of seconds before following; I found her in the bathroom leaning over the sink, taking deep breaths.

While she was open to me and the guys about Maddox, and her feeling towards girls in general, it wasn't something she spoke about to our family much.

"Darling, it's okay,"

"I know,"

"Take some deep breaths,"

"I knew they would ask,"

"You're allowed to feel anxious,"

She looked at me and nodded, following my lead to breathe.

"You don't have to tell them, we can change the topic,"

"Maddox is coming over,"

"I know,"

"I will tell them,"

"Okay. Do you want me to say anything to help?"

"No, I will just say I have a girlfriend,"

"Okay,"

"Does Uncle Jack know? Is that why he asked?"

"He has seen your very deep love for Zendaya," I said, a small smile cracking onto her face, "Sierra will be new to them as well as Maddox, and we will both make sure the attention stays on us,"

She nodded and gave me a hug, then stood up straight and we went back to the living room, returning to our spots.

"Sorry, I thought I was gonna be sick. What was the question again?"

"Any relationships? Or just school?"

"I... have a girlfriend. Like dad. Dad has a new girlfriend,"

"Yes, he used to have a habit of texting me by mistake. Ben and Babe should not ever be mixed up,"Ben grumbled, "Sierra and...?"

"Maddox,"

"Check you out," mum said, nudging her arm, "You're just proving to be more and more grown up,"

"It's not fun,"

"It gets better. Trust me, it does,"