Chapter 19: The Careful Actor

She was going to talk to Henry, she wanted to know if he was willing to tell the truth. She was angry, very angry but John had convinced her to keep a level head. She wasn't alone, Julia, Jim and John were connected to her just in case she was in danger.

You're already walking into danger honey.

When she returned home she found Henry in the kitchen holding a mug of hot chocolate. He straightened up when he saw Shenzie, 'Jesus, I just woke up... I thought you were in bed, I was trying to be so quiet... Are you okay?'
Henry was quick to notice how tense she was but she had decided not to hide her emotions. She wanted to dive in, but she would do it slowly.

'Sorry, I was up with Julia, she called me and told me that Daniel wasn't well, she left some cough syrup here'.

She smiled, 'I couldn't sleep so I chose to go up and drop it off, we ended up talking for a bit, sorry to make you worry Henry, is it okay if I join you?'

'Yeah! It's your kitchen Shen'.

He chuckled before pouring more water in the kettle and grabbing a mug. He was wearing a short sleeve top and Shenzie instantly noticed a scar around his wrist, 'Jesus', she whispered and Henry looked back at her, 'huh?'

'That's a nasty scar you have there, I never noticed it until now'.

'Ah yes, a dog bit me a while ago, it never healed'.

A dog... And was that dog named Billy?

'Really?'

He finished making her drink and passed it over to her, their eyes met for a few moments and Shenzie noticed that Henry had picked up her odd behaviour, 'are you okay?' She could hear the slight shake in his voice.

'Okay I'm lying here, I'm a little nervous'.

She was slowly moving into the conversation, but she tried her best not to tense up when Henry gently touched her shoulder. If she hadn't known about Henry earlier, she would've been fine, she would've welcomed his touch, but now? She was far from craving it.

'What's wrong?'

'I was told that they found some DNA on Billy'.

Henry froze, she could feel him tense, and it made her happy, gotcha.
He pulled away from her slowly, his eyes grew wide like saucepans, 'really? Are you serious!?'

'Never been serious enough, Detective Girth had said it himself, apparently it was in Billy's mouth, it had been shut so they DNA wasn't really destro-'.

She had to act, she wasn't great at it, but she had to do her best, 'are you okay? You look... Sick', Henry seemed to really react to the news and she was happy, she wanted to see him crumble.

'Yeah I uh- yeah I'm fine'.

'You wanna lie down on the couch, I can make you some herb tea?'

'Do you think that'll help?'

'Well it's helped me multiple times, Julia gave it to me when... You know'.

'Right'.

She saw movement outside, but nowhere in Henry's line of sight, it was Julia and Shenzie's heart dropped. Julia was never good at hide and seek but luckily John was there to pull her back. His eyes met with Shenzies' before turning his attention back to Julia.

Get the hell out of sight!

Henry had his eyes glued to the television when she passed the drink to him, 'so... I was wondering, because I'm helping Detective Girth with everything and so was Julia, I'm pretty sure John had started the second search party and they all caught up at his place right? Weren't you in that party as well?'

'Yeah... I think I was'.

'Right'.

He narrowed his eyes at her, 'what're you getting at here?' Shenzie shrugged, 'I was wondering who else was in that group'.

'Oh god, I can't remember that, John should know, he was the one who created the group'.

He chuckled, 'fucking asshole deserved to be in jail, I'll never forgive him for what he did to Billy'.

More like you'll never forgive yourself, for what you did to Billy.

'Oh! I went into Billy's room remember?'

'Yeah? What, did you find something or?'

He chuckled and she nodded, 'yeah! A notebook, I remember giving it to him, I also told him to write a lot of things in there when he felt the need to'.
Henry almost choked on his drink, 'where is it?' Shenzie pretended to look around, 'oh shit, I think I left it back at Julia's, it's like this lock and key kind of book, liar.

'We have to go and find the key, I'll have to find it in Billy's ro-'.

'I'll help!'

'Thank you! It'll make it quick and easy'.

Henry placed the drink down slowly and joined Shenzie who quickly led him into the room. She hadn't stepped inside. He reached the desk and shelves and begun rummaging through. She noticed how frantic he was, but her plan had been set.

'Find anything yet?'

He chuckled, 'not just yet Shen, I've only started looking, it's a little difficult-'.

'That's because there's no key'.

He stopped searching and turned around on his knees, a frown creased his brow, 'what do you mean? There's no key?'

'I mean that the notebook is not a lock and key book Henry'.

'What? Then why-'.

'That scar on your wrist? You said it was a bite'.

'Yeah... A dog'.

'Are you sure?'

'What're you saying Shen?'

Henrys' voice was starting to shake, 'I'm just doing a recap'.