Chapter 18: Some Evidence Never Lie

John was out there, in the darkness. Shenzie began to lean towards him more now, after reading Billy's notebook.

Billy's notebook

Shenzie wanted to read more, what else did Billy write in there. She made sure that Henry had gone to bed, though she could tell that he was quite tense during the hours but Shenzie had made sure that the doors were all locked before sneaking back into Billy's room and grabbing the book and taking it to hers.
She continued reading and her heart skipped a beat when Billy mentioned John.

Mr. John is a nice man but mummy has not talked to him he is lonely. Dad had talked to Mr. John a few times.
Uncle Henry doesn't like John and they had a fight, I heard them fighting Uncle Henry started it, he didn't want Mr. John to have mummy

Should I tell mummy?

'You should have told me sweetie'.

Billy was young, but he was a very smart boy, he did well in his classes, though his writing was still basic. This notebook was perfect for him, he was good at remembering things as well, so this book was like his own brain for anyone else to read.

Mr. John talked to me one time

Really?

He told me to be careful around Uncle Henry, that I should stay with mumy, he does not trust Uncle.

Shenzie didn't trust Henry, not entirely... Not after reading this. She thought she knew Billy, she thought everyone was alright, but...
A buzzing sound caused her to jump, her phone was going off, Julia.
The moment Shenzie answered she heard Julia's frantic voice, 'Shen, are you safe!?'

'Yeah? Why?'

'Are you with Henry?'

'Yeah, he's gone to bed, hey listen-'.

'Stay away from him!'

Huh?

'What do you mean? Listen Julia I-'.

'Detective Girth had some news about Billy... They found DNA on him'.

Oh no.

Shenzie got up from the couch slowly, hoping that she didn't make too much noise, 'what's going on? What about the DNA?'

'Henry... I'm sorry Shen, but it's Hen-'.

'I'm coming over'.

She didn't care if she was meant to stay inside, after hearing the news, Shenzie knew that she had to show the notebook.

+

Julia was horrified when she examined the pages, 'where did you find this?' Shenzie looked away, 'in Billy's room... His closet to be exact. I was going through and sorting out his clothes, Max always wanted to pass down Billy's clothes to others... I was going to do that, but then I found the book'.

'Oh god...'.

Oh god indeed.

'Billy knew John as well, I hadn't realised'.

Julia read a little further, 'it seems that John never hurt Billy... John never did anything'. 

'Billy was scared of Henry, not John... John seemed to know that something was wrong'.

Shenzie closed her eyes and groaned which caught Julia's attention, 'I know that reaction, what've realised?'
Shenzie may have thought correctly, 'Henry was telling Detective Girth about how he saw Johns' black Mustang, and how he almost drove into Henry on the road'.

'So?'

'If I could remember... Henry never mentioned that incident during the time... We scoped through every single detail and traced our steps... He never mentioned the incident with the black Mustang, I would have known that'.

'Wait... Isn't Henry terrible with his memory?'

'He's not amazing... But that wouldn't be enough to pin point-'.

He took Billy's necklace.

'Did you read the part where Billy said that Henry took his necklace?'

Julia flicked over a couple of pages, 'yeah, this page, wh-', her eyes grew wide with shock, 'oh god no... The necklace that was in John's jewellery box'.

A sudden knock on the front door startled the women, 'shit, it might be Henry!' Julie whispered sharply and Shenzie hid the notebook before slowly making her way over to the door to look through the peek hole.

John!?

She pulled the door open and came face to face with the one man whom she loved.
He looked cold, his face had grown pale and his hair was wet, he had been hiding.

'Oh god John!'

She didn't hesitate to pull him inside, tears threatened to fall, 'I'm so sorry John I-', he tried to speak but Shenzie hushed him, 'no, don't say anything, Julie, turn on the AC if you can please'.

'Already on it'.

Shenzie sat John down on the couch and grabbed some blankets for him, 'oh god John', she mumbled as she wrapped him in blankets. She hadn't even realised that tears had began to fall until John reached out and wiped them from her cheeks. His hand was freezing cold.

'I'm so sorry John I- I didn't mean to yell at you and accuse you, I went against you and opened your wife's box and-'.

John then hushed her in return, 'it's alright Shen, I understand'.

'No... It doesn't matter if you understand, what I did to you was terrible and I'll never forgive myself'.

'You may not forgive yourself, but I forgive you'.

He frowned when he noticed her trembling, 'I'm meant to be the one shaking I-'.

'It was Henry'.

She cut him off completely and John froze, 'what?' His voice had grown quiet but Shenzie could hear it clear as day.

'I found a notebook in Billy's bedroom... He wrote about Henry and you'.

'What did he say?'

'He said things about Henry that- they weren't good and then you'.

She noticed how John tensed up, 'he said that you were a good man, and that you had Henry fought, you also warned Billy about Henry'.

John sighed and nodded, 'I remember vaugly but... I'm not quite sure what it was about', she wished that he had remembered.

'Detective Girth had more information about Billy'.

Julia joined them, 'some evidence... DNA that linked straight to Henry', she was close to crying, 'they found it in his mouth he- Billy must have bit Henry when-'.
Shenzie didn't want to think about it, but she was glad that John caught on to what happened, 'he must have bit him quite hard seeing as he still had some trace of DNA in his mouth... Would that mean that Henry would have a scar?'

John may be right.