Chapter 6: Dinner Invitation Prt. 2

'If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your wife?'

Julia was always the nosey one, John didn't seem to mind at all, 'she died of cancer'.
Cancer, a terrible thing to deal with.

'I'm sorry about that'.

Shenzie quickly, and Julia sighed before nodding to Shenzie, 'Shenzie lost Max a while ago as well'.

Julie, what the fuck!?

'Max was your husband?'

Shenzie would have scolded Julia but John seemed to be interested in her now, 'yes, he was my husband, Henry', she pointed over her shoulder to where Jim and Henry were, 'Henry's his brother... Max was killed in a car accident'.

'Sorry to hear'.

Julia sighed, 'you've been alone ever since huh?' The way she was talking to John had suggested that she spoke to him more than Shenzie ever did.

'Yes, I've been alone ever since'.

He looked over at Shenzie, 'what about you?' She felt her face grow hot, 'been too busy to go on those online dating sites to be honest', all three of them laughed, 'I'm terrible at working the online world anyway, but I'm surrounded by kids all the time, so they're teaching me along the way'.

'Sounds smart'.

The night had gone much longer than Shenzie had thought it would go for. Julia had gone to check on the kids whilst Jim and Henry were still screaming at the tv. 
She and John had migrated out onto the porch where they watched the stars, 'so it's just been you ever since your husband passed?'

'Yep, just me, and the same for you as well, with your wife?'

'Yes, and just like you, I'm terrible at the whole online dating, work makes me busy so I too don't have time'.

They sat silently for a few moments before Shenzie asked a question that always interested her.

'Do you have kids?'

'No, my wife and I were planning to, but...'.

'Right...'.

'What about you?'

Oh boy.

'I did'.

'You did?'

John was quick to pick up the past tense, 'you use to have a child?' Shenzie nodded, 'yes... His name was Billy, and he was only 8 years old when he went missing 4 years ago, pressumed dead'.

'Billy... Billy Webster Docker?'

Shenzie was caught off guard when John had said Billy's full name, 'oh god... You were around when-'.

'Yes I was around at that time, I tried to help as well'.

Shenzie turned away, 'I guess I was too engrossed with my own family to notice you', she heard John sigh, 'meeting me back then wasn't important, it was finding your son'.
John was right, Shenzie shouldn't worry about John wandering around Mill Neck with the search groups, she was with Max and the rest of the family.

'I'm sorry we weren't able to find him Shenzie'.

She heard John say and she smiled, 'thank you John, he's out there somewhere... Wherever he is'.

'I know'.

Shenzie tried her best not to look back at John, but when she looked at one of the windows, she could just see her reflection and she noticed that John was looking at her every now and then, his eyes were filled with endless amounts of stories. He was a quiet guy, and Shezie didn't mind, at least he was polite.

'How old are you if you don't mind me asking?'

Shenzie suddenly asked, the silence was killing her and she could tell that John wanted to keep on with the conversation, another reason to stay outside.

'I'm 52, getting a litte old, why?'

'Was just curious if you were ever thinking of having kids even after... You know'.

John smirked, 'I don't know, like I said, I'm getting a little old', Shenzie rolled her eyes, 'John you look fine, I thought you were in your forties to be honest'.

'Well how old are you?'

'38 years'.

John raised his eyebrows, 'you look younger and that's not me trying to get on your good side, I think I already am'.

'Maybe'.

'Are you ever thing of... You know'.

To Shenzie, that was a big question and she could say no but something deep down had told her to think about it, 'I'm not so sure... It's like I don't want to, but then I do want to, I can't explain it'.

'There's no need to explain, I understand'.

Some things people don't have to go through to say that they understand it's just common sense and how deep you think about it. 
John kept lookin going out towards the greenery before them. The stars were beautiful this evening, then again they wouldn't have changed because Shenzie rarely watched the stars.