Chapter 10: Detective Break Through

The next morning was what Shenzie was nervous about. When Julia had called her up after finding that she was gone from her room.

'Where you?'

Shenzie could tell that Julia was hysterical, especially after what had happened earlier.

'I was uh... With John?'

Julia was silent for a few moments, 'oh my fucking god!'

'Julia hush!'

Shenzie couldn't tell if her sister was angry or happy, 'are you serious!?', she whispered, 'you're hitting it off with Mr. Wick!?'

'Julia that's enough'.

'No way, that's not enough! What led you to go see him last night!? You really gave me a fright'.

'I don't know I just... Don't know'.

She wanted to be with John, just him not with Henry, after seeing Billy's body Shenzie didn't really want to see anyone close to her.

Shenzie was quick to go back and see Julia, she owed it to her sister anyway.
Julia had pulled Shenzie out into the kitchen where Jim, Henry and the kids were, 'are you okay?' Jim quickly asked, his face was etched with concern but Shenzie smiled, 'it's fine, I'm fine, I just saw John and... We had a very long talk'.
Jim knew exactly what she was talking about but the kids of course, knew nothing. She could tell that Henry was quite surprised, 'really? You went to John's? In the middle of the night?'
Shenzie nodded, 'I know I needed- nevermind, I'm back now alright'.
The tension eased off slowly as everyone began to forget what had happened. Julia was the one to update Shenzie.

'I would say that that cute Detective will be coming to interrogate us, but it looks like you've got your eyes set on someone already'.

'Julia, really?'

'Just saying, anyway he's going to be coming around sometime today'.

'I don't know if I can do this, what kind of questions would he ask? Where was I at the time of the murder?'

'You don't know if it was a murder and they wouldn't know exactly, it's been 4 years Shen, I'm sorry'.

Shenzie couldn't ask anything else of Julia, her sister was good at these things, but she couldn't do everything for her.

You gotta keep yourself together Shen, otherwise you'll get no justice for your own son.

+

Detective Harold Girth was a tall lanky man with a parrot nose and peircing green eyes, his hair was slicked back with gel... Too much gel to Shenzies' liking.

'Ms. Docker?'

'Yes?'

'Detective Girth, I'm here to-'.

'Yes I know, come in'.

Shenzie didn't mean to push him, 'do you want a hot drink?' Girth shook his head, 'it's alright, I had a drink before I started work', he threw her a smile.
The Detective was a genuine man, Shenzie hadn't sensed anything out of line with him, to her he was just a man doing his job.

'I'm really sorry about your son Ms. Docker'.

'Yes... He'd been missing for 4 years'.

She still told him even when she knew taht Girth would know that information already, he pulled out a notepad, 'I'm sorry about this, but you're going to have to try and think back around the time of Billy's disappearance'.

'Yes, I know'.

'You're a teacher, before, were you a teacher or did you have another job?'

'No, just teaching, that's all I've every really done'.

'Do you remember where you were when Billy-'.

'I was on a holiday with some girlfriends' of mine, I've got their details, I've already called them up and told them about what happened so they're happy to confirm my whereabouts'.

'Thank you... What about, anyone you know of, was there anyone you had problems with?'

A good question, Shenzie wasn't aware of anyone disliking her or Billy. She shook her head.

'I'm not so sure Detective, I didn' really talk to the other mothers, some of them aren't great people to be around'.

Every single question hurt Shenzie, but she knew that the Detective was helping her.
Julia and Jim had been interrogated, all that was left was John and Henry. Henry was back at Shenzie's working.

'I'll be heading back home, time to return to the old shack'.

Shenzie chuckled before grabbing her things and hugging Julia and Jim, 'call me tonight, let me know how your are', Julia added.