Chapter 5: Dinner Invitation

Just like Max and Henry.

Julia and Shenzie looked almost a like, though Julia had their fathers eyes whilst Shenzie's had their mothers.
Her children Daniel and Grace had greeted her at the door the moment she and Henry stepped inside.
Jim was still in the kitchen but Julia had joined the kids.

'It's been a while big sister!'

She wrapped her arms around Shenzie and gave her a big squeeze, even doing the same with Henry.

'Are you two married?'

Grace suddenly said and Henry laughed, 'no, we're not married, just good friends that's all, I'm just visiting town as well as working'.

'You're talking to her as if she were an adult'.

Julia chuckled before motioning them to come through the to dining room.

'Jim caughter some lobsters and he's just got them on the grill. Do you guys remember when we had crabs last time?'

Shenzie rolled her eyes, 'yes and never again', Henry frowned, 'why, what happened?'

'There's barely any meat in them and Max wasn't very nice, he didn't tell me where all the met was so he ate nearly all of the crabs'.

'God that sounds like my brother'.

Another knock made Shenzie freeze, who else is coming to dinner? Julia squeezed past her, 'go sit at the table, I'll let our last guest in'.

'Another guest?'

Henry seemed as confused as Shenzie, but they made their way over to the table with Jim and the kids, 'lovely to see you two again', Jim gave Shenzie a quick kiss on the cheek and Henry a handshake.

'I hope you like the lobsters, it was kind of hard catching them, so lets enjoy whilst we still can'.

'They smell lovely'.

Julia had returned and she was followed by another person.
Shenzie's heart nearly stopped, it was John from towards the coast, her other neighbour.

'So John! This is the rest of the family!'

She did the good old meet and greet style, 'this is my husband Jim and my kids, Daniel and Grace and these two are Shenzie and Henry, Shenzie's my big sister'.

Shenzie's eyes met Johns' for a few moments and she gave him a polite smile before looking away as Julie kept on talking.

'And this is Henry, he's uh-'.

It was going to be difficult to explain but Henry was quick to introduce himself, 'I'm a friend of the family'.
John smiled, 'John Wick, I just live further to the coast', that was all he said. Jim had saved them from the awkward silence, 'alright! The lobsters are almost done, have you go the plates ready Julia!?'

'Coming right up!'

Shenzie like gatherings like this, where the group isn't too big nor too small, it was just right and that's what she liked when it came to Julia's get togethers.
John had chosen to sit on Shenzie left whilst Henry sat on her right. Julia, Jim and the kids sat on the opposite side, the servings were delicious.

'So, Julia, apart from catching all the lobsters-'.

'That was all me Shen'.

Jim pointed the tongs at her, 'Julia just spent a lot of money on clothes', the whole table burst out laughing whilst Julia poked her tongue out, 'hey, I needed more clothes alright, I already gave some of my old clothes away to the op shop!'

'You've still got half of your clothes over at my place Julia'.

Shenzie was quick to add and she rolled her eyes, 'oh yeah? Well keep them there, I'm still going to have sleep overs at yours'.
Jim frowned, 'when're you going to have sleepovers?' She smirked at him, 'whenever you and I fight'.

Nice one Julia.

'So John'.

Shenzie was surprised to hear Henry ask anything, 'what do you do for a living?' 
John seem seemed to take great care with what he was going to say.

'Architecture, I've been working in that area for quite some time'.

'Oh really?'

'What about you?'

Henry smirked, 'I work through this mining company, been sent out into my home town for some extra work from the boss though, that's why I'm tagging along with Shenzie here', he tapped her shoulder and Shenzie tried her best not to shift, but John seemed to notice.
The longer the night was, the more comfortable they were, the kids were sent into the second room to watch a movie whilst the adults kept on talking. Henry was mainly speaking to Julia and Jim.
John had turned to Shenzie, 'so what do you do for a living?'

'Oh... Stuff'.

She snickered when she saw a gentle smile cross his face, 'I work as a teacher actually'.

'Is that right? You have a lovely personality, so that job would have suited you well'.

'You haven't really gotten to know me John... But it sounds like you're that person who figures others out without really having to ask much'.

'I'm that kind of person'.

'Lucky you'.

She was surprised to see John shake his head, 'sometimes it's not lucky, it means that I really don't have to ask the genuine question because I've already figure the person out, it's sometimes a blessing and sometimes a curse in itself'.
Jim had suddenly clapped his hands, 'the football is on! I forgot to tell you! Henry, you like football am I right?'
Of course Henry was quick to agree, 'get that tv on, we're going to see who's winning!'
It seemed that John was quite the opposite, he stayed by Shenzie's side and spoke with her and Julia.

'Have you ever been on a holiday with your family John?'

Julia shrugged, 'I went on a holiday years ago when my wife was alive', that information caught Shenzie's attention, he'd lost a loved one as well.