Chapter 14: Evidence In An Unusual Place

A necklace, it wasn't the type of necklace that his deceased wife would wear, that's for sure...

'Billy?'

This necklace... Was the necklace that Billy had made in an art class in primary school. It was in Helen's jewellery box.
She quickly pulled her phone out and took a photo before quietly closing the box, wiping her fingerprints straight away. Her heart was pounding against her chest when she sat on the bed. Just before she could get away, John had returned, 'the water's ready, come join me'.

'Alright'.

She was scared, well and truly scared, John had a part of her son in that box, and he didn't want to open it. The moment he touched her she felt shivers run down her spine.

+

She had returned home and Henry was quick to pick up that she was upset.

'Shen? What's wrong?'

'I was... At John's'.

'Yeah? And?'

'I uh... I was looking through some things and-'.

'You weren't comfortable with him were you?'

It wasn't really a question, Henry seemed to know what she was talking about, 'what happened? Did he hurt you?'

'No! No he didn't hurt me or anything, its just... I found something'.

Henry sat down next to her, 'hey, calm down, what did you find?'

'Billy's necklace...'.

'Huh?'

'There was a box, a jewellery box and he basically said not to open it'.

'And you opened it, sounds like something you would do'.

He tried to make her laugh but she was too distracted, 'I found Billy's necklace, he wore that continuously'.
Henry's eyes widened, 'oh shit, wait so you found Billy's necklace in that box?' Shenzie nodded, 'Billy's necklace, he had Billy's necklace! Here, I took a photo!'
She showed the photo to Henry who swore, 'Jesus, I remember that necklace, I remember insulting him and you told me to apologise'.
Shenzie dropped her phone, 'he said he didn't want to open it, it's because of this necklace'.

'We need to call Girth'.

Shenzie's world came crashing down, how'd he get a hold of Billy's necklace?