Chapter 3: Henry Returns

Right in front of her sat her brother in law. Henry Docker.

He had changed over the past year, he had grown a beard, cut his hair and added some weight.

'You look good'.

'Shut up'.

Both burst out laughing, 'you still look good Henry, a lot better than before', Shenzie couldn't help but tell the truth, so much had happened. Henry smiled, 'I know, thank you, honestly, you haven't changed, you've always looked good'.

'Never tried to changed'.

She never did try to change, there wasn't anything to change after all.

'I'm thinking of moving'.

She wasn't going to hesitate, Henry cocked any eyebrow at her, 'really? You want to move? You've lived in Mill Neck for so long-'.

'And I think it's time that I live somewhere else where I like'.

'Look I- I know that Mill Neck was Max's choice and I-'.

'Oh god! I didn't meant to put it through like that'.

Henry chuckled, 'it's okay, I know what you're getting at, but still, you're putting a big part of life behind'.

'I know Henry'.

'I haven't been around Mill Neck for a while'.

'You could alway socme over... If you want, you don't have to, how long will you be in town for?'

'Well a bit, the boss said I'll be staying a minimum of a week, so I'm just finding some motels-'.

'You may as well stay with me... If you feel comfortable'.

Henry seem to hesitate, 'alright... Thank you', Shenzie could tell that he seemed a little off already.

'Listen, you don't have to take up the offer, it's fine-'.

'It's perfect Shenzie, just uh, it's been awhile that's for sure'.

'It sure has, but do you have a place that you go to, in order to work?'

Henry shook his head, 'no actually it's a work at home job at the moment'.

The house was silent, Shenzie didn't even have any pets, after Billy disappeared, Benji their beloved dog had passed and she had never bought another animal into the house ever again.

'You let me know when you're ready'.

Shenzie was glad that she had caught up with Henry, or the fact that he called her and asked to catch up with her after a while. If anything is also made her feel terrible that she never really made an effort to see him. When Max was killed, Shenzie was basically no longer part of the Docker family, seeing as Billy was gone, presumed dead.
Henry was the only Docker family member who had reached out to her, still treated her like she was part of the family. Max and Henry's parents hostility grew after little Billy ahd gone missing. Max's passing was the icing on teh cake. She was considered cursed, she was all alone and each passing year that Shenzie was alone, she began to believe that Mr. and Mrs. Docker were right, she really was a curse.
But not to Henry, he stayed by her side, he didn't love her romantically, he loved her like a sister, he wasn't going to leave her alone. Julia was always there for Shenzie of course, but she had gone on a holiday, so there was no chance of her catching up with her.

+

Henry whistled as he roamed around the living room, 'this place has always been amazing, it hasn't changed since-', he stopped himself and Shenzie sighed, 'it's alright Henry, it's in the past... Did you have anything to eat yet?'

'Not yet, you getting takeaway?'

'How'd you-'.

He pointed to the indian takeaway menu, 'you got me, and I'm not going to hide that I eat take out'.

'I do the same Shen, I mean look at me'.

He's not wrong.

'Indian then?'

'You bet'.