"Yeah,"

"It will all work out,"

He took his shoes off and then replaced Maddox's space, letting me rest on his chest in silence.

A nurse came in to take my vitals, then paged Calum because my blood pressure was now high. It didn't take long for him to get here, and he sanitised his hands, before pointing at Ash and flicking his hand to get him off me.

"You've got it all happening today huh?"

"Where is dad?"

"He's in his office with Sierra. How are you feeling?"

"I don't know," I mumbled, scrunching my face up as he took my blood pressure himself, "Scared,"

"Which is understandable,"

"Does this all go away when I get a transplant?"

"Well, if your body accepts it, you should feel a lot better. You will need medication still, and it's possible your new kidney could be impacted in the same way as your old ones, but it is our best shot. It's a good one,"

"Okay,"

"I'm going to page your dad down here," he said, giving me medicine through my IV, "Then go home and sleep so I can come in early and get all the test results!"

"You didn't test Maddox,"

"If there's no match then I will,"

"Okay,"

"I've got this under control darling, promise. I just need you to chill for a bit, watch tv or play video games,"

"I wanna sleep,"

"Okay, you can go to sleep then,"

"Damn I am really sick huh?"

He smiled sadly and squeezed my hand, then left without another word.

Ashton tucked me into bed, then dad came in and saw me, immediately starting to cry.

I hadn't seen him do that for years. Not since I needed surgery for a broken arm.

"Dad?"

"Luke? Hey man, come here,"

"No," he said, pushing Ashton off him, "I am fine,"

"Dad, I am okay,"

"Can we cuddle?"

"Yeah," I said, letting him climb onto the bed, "I'm okay,"

"I'm gonna be a match, and then we can get you all sorted and recover together,"

"Okay,"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I am fine, I just want to have a nap,"

"Okay. You have a nap then," he said, bringing me onto his chest; he was holding me tightly and my cheek was squished.

"Dad, I want to sleep in the bed alone,"

"No,"

"Dad,"

"No,"

"Luke, you can sit beside her,"

"You don't understand this Ash,"

"Mate she can hardly breathe, let's go and talk outside,"

"Gabi needs me,"

"I am okay,"

He looked at me for a solid minute, then kissed my cheek and got off the bed, following Ashton out.

After a moment, Sierra helped put my bed covers back and then sat in the corner away from me, looking at the floor.

Right now she seemed like the only sane one here.

Upon reflection, she was a very beautiful woman, and she seemed extremely kind and like she cared for dad.

Her coming here was confusing me, even more that she brought Maddox. I didn't get why and it frustrated me that she had gone into my life like that, but I was thankful that Maddox got here.

"Thank you for bringing Maddox,"

"I thought it might help,"

"It did,"

"Good!"

"I'm sorry. I was really stupid at our meal,"

"I accept your apology. There's no hard feelings, I can see how close you and Luke are which obviously means adding someone new into the equation is tough,"

I nodded and twisted the duvet in my hand, taking small breaths as I nodded.

"We don't have to have this conversation right now, I can just be here to support you,"

"I'm sorry. It's hard for me to see dad with someone, knowing what my mum did. I hate her so much, I would never contact her, I never want anything to do with her... so I guess seeing you makes me think of that,"

"That helps me understand more. I don't have to be a parental figure at all. I can just be your dad's girlfriend, or we could hang out and do things. I would love to be involved in your life but until you're ready, I am whatever you want me to be,"

"Really?"

"Yeah,"

"Okay. I'm gonna nap now,"

"Sleep well darling. Try not to worry about your dad, I am here for him. No matter what,"