111|Saving Ellie and Maddie

While I continued to torture and interrogate the demon, he managed to break free and threw me against a van. He put his hands around my neck, but before he could do anything else, Cass appeared and killed him.

"I didn't ask for your help," I growled, catching my breath.

"Well, regardless, you're welcome," the angel replied.

"Why are you here?"

I pushed past him.

"I had no idea Crowley would take Eleanor and Madelaine."

"Yeah, right," I muttered, picking up the broken strap that had been restraining the demon.

"You don't believe me."

"I don't believe a word that's coming out of your mouth."

"I thought you said we were like family. Well I think that, too. Shouldn't trust run both ways?"

"Cass, I just can't..."

"Dean, I do everything you ask," Cass pointed out. "I always come when you or Eleanor call, and I am your friend. Still, despite your lack of faith in me, and now your threats, I just saved you, yet again. Has anyone but your closest kin ever done more for you? All I ask is one thing."

"Trust your plan to pop Purgatory?" I guessed.

"I've earned that, Dean."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"I came to tell you I will find Eleanor and Madelaine, and I will bring them back. Stand behind me, the one time I ask."

"You're asking me to stand down?"

"Dean."

"That's the same damn ransom note that Crowley handed me," I growled. "You know that, right? Well, no thanks. I'll find 'em myself. In fact, why don't you go back to Crowley and tell him that I said you can both kiss my ass."

I walked away from the angel, pressing my fist to my mouth in an effort to keep myself together. I was vaguely aware of the fluttering of wings as Cass disappeared once more.

"Because- I know I'm gonna live to regret this- but I'm officially on your team," Balthazar was telling Sam. "You bastards."

"And we should believe you why?" I asked, making my presence known.

"Would you believe I had a shred of decency?" the angel asked.

"No," Sam answered.

"Oh. That hurts."

Sam raised his eyebrows and Balthazar continued.

"Okay, you're right. It's survival. You see, I asked Cass some questions and I disliked his answers. He seems awfully sure of himself for a man who wants to swallow a million nuclear reactors. I mean, these things can get a bit Chernobyl, you know? So, voila. Consider me your double agent. Oh, and I took the liberty of searching for your family. Uh, took a while. Crowley's a clever one."

"You found them?" I asked hopefully.

"Well, the upside is yes, uh, the downside is no, I can't get them for you."

"Why not?" Sam demanded.

"Because Crowley's angel-proofed the whole bloody building. I guess he doesn't trust Cass. Seems that marriage is going swimmingly."

"Okay, well get us as close as you can," I told him.

"Sure," Balthazar nodded. "But then you're on your own."