18|Anna Milton

THREE WEEKS EARLIER

Our next case dealt with a wishing well that actually granted people's wishes. It turned out to be because of some coin the original wisher used. Sam tried to confront Dean about what he remembered from Hell, but Dean kept dodging him the entire time until right before we ditched town.

"Hang on a second," Dean stopped before climbing into the Impala.

"What?" Sam asked.

"You were right."

I tensed up, biting my lip as I stared in between the two brothers.

"About what?"

"I shouldn't have lied to you. I do remember everything that happened to me in the Pit. Everything."

Dean's eyes flickered over to me before looking back at Sam.

"So tell me about it," Sam requested.

"No."

"Uh..."

"I won't lie anymore. But I'm not gonna talk about it."

"Dean, look, you can't just shoulder this thing alone. You got to let me help. Let Ellie help."

"How? Do you really think a little heart-to-heart, some caring and sharing, is gonna change anything? Hmm? Somehow... heal me? I'm not talking about a bad day here."

"I know that."

"The things that I saw... there aren't words. There is no forgetting. There's no making it better. Because it's right here," Dean tapped his head, "forever. You wouldn't understand. And I could never make you understand. So I am sorry."

We were now looking into a girl named Anna Milton. According to Ruby, she escaped from a locked ward and the demons were pretty keen on finding her.

"Can I get a copy of the missing persons report?" Sam was saying into his phone. "Great. Okay. Thanks."

He hung up the phone.

"Well, Anna Milton's definitely real," he said.

"Don't mean the case is real," Dean shot back stubbornly. "And this hospital's a three-day drive."

"We've driven a lot further for less, Dean," Sam pointed out, and Dean shook his head. "You got something to say, say it."

"Oh, I'm saying it- this sucks."

"You're not pissed we're going after the girl. You're pissed Ruby threw us the tip."

"Right. Cause as far as you're concerned, the hell-bitch is practically family. Yeah, boy, something major must have happened while I was downstairs, cause I come back, and- and you're BFF with a demon?"

"I told you, Dean, Ruby helped me go after Lilith."

"Well, thanks for the thumbnail- real vivid. You want to fill in a little detail?"

"Sure, Dean, let's trade stories. You first. How was Hell? Don't spare the details."

Dean was quiet, glancing back at me in the rearview mirror. We hadn't really talked about the fact that I knew all the details Sam was demanding since I revealed that that was what Cass had shown me while he learned about what Azazel did to Sam and the other psychic children.

Anna's psychologist was explaining to us what happened when Anna escaped the hospital.