43|Falling Apart

Three hours in to Sam's demon-detox, he started screaming about Alastair being in the room with him. I was laying on Bobby's couch, eyes closed and brow furrowed as Sam's voice carried up the stairs. Dean and Bobby were sitting by the latter's desk, drinking whiskey.

"How long is this gonna go on?" Dean asked.

"Here, let me look it up in my demon-detox manual," Bobby quipped. "Oh wait. No one ever wrote one. No telling how long it will take. Hell, or if Sam will even live through it."

The phone rang, and Bobby sighed before answering it.

"Hello?... Suck dirt and die, Rufus. You call me again, I'll kill you."

"What's up with Rufus?" I asked, eyes still closed as Bobby hung up the phone.

"He knows," Bobby answered.

The phone rang again and Bobby answered it angrily.

"I'm busy, you son of a bitch. This better be important."

Apparently, what Rufus had to tell Bobby was very important, because he informed him that in a single day, Key West saw ten species go extinct, in Alaska, a fifteen-man fishing crew were all struck blind, cause unknown, and in New York, a teacher went postal, locked the doors and killed exactly sixty-six kids. When Bobby looked into it further, he found out they were all seals that were breaking fast.

"How many are left?" I asked, sitting up and massaging my temples.

"Who knows?" Bobby shrugged. "Can't be many. Where the hell are your angel pals?"

"You tell us," Dean bit out.

"I'm just wondering."

"What?" I snapped when Bobby fell silent.

"The apocalypse being nigh and all... is now really the right time to be having this little domestic drama of ours?"

"What do you mean?" Dean asked.

"Well, I don't like this any more than you do, but Sam can kill demons. He's got a shot at stopping Armageddon."

"So what? Sacrifice Sam's life, his soul, for the greater good? Is that what you're saying? Times are bad, so let's use Sam as a nuclear warhead?"

"Look, I know you hate me for suggesting it," Bobby sighed. "I hate me for suggesting it. I love that boy like a son. All I'm saying is maybe he's here right now instead of on the battlefield because we love him too much."

Dean had stormed outside nearly two hours earlier, presumably to try and get ahold of Castiel. I was still sat on Bobby's couch with a pounding headache.

"Everything alright?" Bobby called over gently.

I stopped massaging my temples, running my fingers through my hair as I looked up at him.

"Everything's falling apart around me, and I can't do a damn thing to stop it."

Bobby was quiet, studying me as I started crying for what felt like the millionth time in the last month.

"I get it," he said finally. "You've gone through a lot this past year. You lost a child, the love of your life, only to get him back four months later and have to deal with the fact that we're nearing the end of times. And you're in the middle of it. Nobody blames you for feeling overwhelmed, Ellie. We all feel it, too."

"They told me she was never supposed to make it to full term," I whispered.

"What?"

"The angels. They told me that Maddie was doomed from the start, she was always supposed to die before she could make it to term."

"And you believed them?"

"They said it's because of the role I'm supposed to play in all of this. And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne."

"Revelation 12:5," Bobby nodded.

"I'm the prize, Bobby," I scoffed. "The trophy for whoever wins this damn thing. I couldn't have Maddie because she wasn't the offspring of Lucifer or Michael. That's what they told me."

Before Bobby could say anything else, Dean walked in looking grim. I quickly wiped my tears away, hoping he wouldn't notice I'd had another mental breakdown.

"What?" Bobby asked.

Sighing, Dean recounted the conversation he'd had with Castiel as soon as the angel bothered showing up.

"Bobby! Dean! Ellie!" Sam's voice carried up. "Help! Hey! Guys! Guys! Help! Dean!"

"Correct me if I'm wrong," Bobby began, ignoring the shouts, "but you willingly signed up to be the angels' bitch?"

Dean gave him a look, not saying anything.

"I'm sorry. You prefer 'sucker'? After everything you and Ellie said about them, now you trust them?"

"Come on, give me a little credit, Bobby. I've never trusted them less. I mean, they come on like shady politicians from planet Vulcan."

"Then why in the hell did you-" I started.

"Because what other option do I have?" he asked, looking over at me. "It's either trust the angels or let Sammy trust a demon?"

"I see your point," I glanced away.

"You hear that?" Dean asked suddenly.

"Yeah, that's a little too much nothing," Bobby nodded.

The two rushed down the stairs, but I stayed where I was. I was sick and tired of this whole ordeal. I wasn't kidding when I told Bobby I couldn't do anything to stop my world from crumbling around me. Sam was drinking demon blood to use his psychic abilities given to him by Azazel, Dean had just promised the angels that he would do whatever they asked of him, and I could only sit on my hands while I waited for the apocalypse to come so Lucifer and Michael could fight to see who would win me.

Looking at the door of the basement to see if they were coming up anytime soon, I stood up and headed over to Bobby's desk, scribbling a note to Dean down on a piece of paper. Then, taking a deep breath I headed out the door, taking the keys to Bobby's truck as I went. I didn't know where I was headed, but I just needed to get away. Fresh tears slipped down my cheeks as I reached up to touch my now bare neck. It was the second time I'd run away, but unlike last time, I didn't have a plan.

"I'm sorry," I whispered in the quiet car, not sure to who or for what I was apologizing.