7|Angels

It had been several days since the incident in the barn and we were back at Bobby's. Dean was still refusing to believe Castiel was an angel as he and I recounted exactly what happened again for Sam. Bobby sat behind his desk researching.

"Well, then tell me what else it could be," Sam said, trying to reason with Dean while he paced.

"Look, all I know is I was not groped by an angel," Dean insisted.

"Okay, look, Dean. Why do you think this Castiel would lie to you about it?"

"Maybe he's some kind of demon. Demon's lie."

"A demon who's immune to salt rounds and Devil's Traps... and Ruby's knife?" Sam pointed out. "Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!"

"Don't you think that if angels were real, that some hunter somewhere would have seen one... at some point... ever?"

"Yeah," I piped up. "We just did, Dean."

Dean paused his pacing to stare at me. I didn't really blame him. That was the first time I'd said his name to his face since he arrived.

"I'm trying to come up with a theory here," he said, still staring at me. "Okay? Work with me."

"Dean, we have a theory," I pointed out.

"Yeah, one with a little less fairy dust on it, please."

"He's an angel, Dean."

"No, he's not. He can't be."

"You know, this was exactly what he was talking about. How can you possibly have so little faith after what we just saw?"

"Angels aren't real!"

"Yes, they are!" I insisted. "Yellow Eyes said-"

"Yellow Eyes?"

"I've been hearing Castiel in my head for years, Dean. That's how I knew you were back. The morning you busted out, I heard him announce it: 'Dean Winchester is saved.'"

Both Winchesters were staring at me dumbstruck.

"You what?" Sam asked when Dean didn't say anything.

"I used to hear a voice sometimes that accompanied my Demon Detector. It didn't show up every time it went off, just when it felt like I needed a little more guidance, I guess. I never knew what it was until Yellow Eyes possessed me. He told me the voice was an angel talking to me. And then at Pamela's when I heard Castiel talking, it was the same voice I've been hearing in my head."

"Okay, no," Dean shook his head. "Again, demons lie. Yellow Eyes was lying to you and so was Castiel. I refuse to believe this thing is an Angel of the Lord because it said so!"

"You three chuckleheads want to keep arguing religion, or do you want to come take a look at this?"

We all made our way over to Bobby's desk, looking over his shoulders at what he'd found.

"I got stacks of lore," he began explaining, "Biblical, pre-Biblical. Some of it's in damn cuneiform. It all says an angel can snatch a soul from the Pit."

"What else?" Dean inquired.

"What else, what?"

"What else could do it?"

"Airlift your ass out of the hot box? As far as I can tell, nothing."

"Dean, this is good news," Sam told him.

"How?"

"Because for once, this isn't just another round of demon crap. I mean, maybe you were saved by one of the good guys, you know?"

"Okay. Say it's true. Say there are angels," Dean walked around to the other side of the desk. "Then what? There's a God?"

"At this point, Vegas money's on yeah," Bobby nodded.

"I don't know, guys."

"Okay, look," I started. "I know you're not all choirboy about this stuff, but this is becoming less and less about faith and more and more about proof."

"Proof?" Dean repeated.

"Yes."

"Proof that there's a God out there that actually gives a crap about me personally? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it."

"Why not?" I demanded.

"Because why me? If there is a God out there, why would he give a crap about me?"

"Dean-"

"I mean, I've saved some people, okay?" Dean continued over me, on a roll. "I figured that made up for the stealing and the ditching chicks. But why do I deserve to get saved? I'm just a regular guy."

"Apparently, you're a regular guy that's important to the man upstairs," I pointed out.

"Well, that creeps me out. I mean, I don't like being singled out at birthday parties, much less by... God."

"Okay, well, too bad, Dean, because I think he wants you to strap on your party hat."

"Fine," Dean sighed, deflating a bit. "What do we know about angels?"

"Start reading," Bobby said.

Dean looked at the giant pile of books, then back at Sam and I.

"One of you is getting me pie," he pointed a finger before grabbing the top book off the pile and heading over to start reading.

Sam and I looked at each other and immediately launched into a game of rock-paper-scissors. We tied the first two rounds before I finally beat him. He sighed as I smirked and grabbed a book from the pile. Dean held out the keys for Sam to grab as he passed him and then he was out the door to pick up Dean's goodies. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out to check, smiling when I saw Brigham's name on the screen.

»» Everything going ok?

«« Yeah. Bobby, Dean and I are doing research on angels rn. Sam just left 2 get Dean pie.

»» Be safe. Love you. Xo

«« Love you 2. Xo

I looked up from my phone after hitting send, meeting Dean's eyes. My hand immediately flew to the locket around my neck and I bit my lip, slipping my phone back in my pocket and busying myself with the book I'd grabbed. However, I couldn't really concentrate on any of the words and I could still feel Dean's gaze burning a hole in the side of my head. It felt like that was happening to me a lot lately.