Chapter 27

The alarm I set for this morning woke me up. Nothing too fancy, just In the End by Black Veil Brides. I shut it off and stretched out my body. I heard Rhea groan beside me. I looked over at her with a smile. "It's too early." She complained.

I snickered at her childish comment. "You can stay in bed if you want. My chiropractor only had an early spot open today. Go back to sleep. I'll come back to bed when I'm home. My first interview isn't until noon." I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to shower and use the bathroom. After I'm done, I got dressed and made sure to take my morning meds. I also made sure to let Nala out so Rhea doesn't have to worry about her. "Come on, pretty girl. Go cuddle with Rhea." I opened my bedroom door and let Nala inside. She hopped up and took my side of the bed. I knelt beside Rhea. "I'll be back later. Do you want anything while I'm out?"

Rhea shook her head. "Nothing I can think of." I nodded and pecked her lips. 

"I'll be back in a bit. Love you."

"Love you too."

****

I'm on my way home and I texted Nikki before leaving the parking lot. I didn't know if she would see it yet. I decided I would call my mom while I waited for Nikki to discover the news. "Hello?"

"Morning, mom." I plugged my phone in on the charger and let the Bluetooth connect.

"Hello, child of mine. How is my favorite champion?" I smiled when I heard that.

I chuckled and thought I would tease my mom. "Doing good, but are you sure I'm your favorite? I thought Rhea was your favorite?"

There was a long pause before mom spoke. "Listen, as much as I love Rhea because she's my favorite adopted child, you are my flesh and blood. You are automatically my favorite no matter what."

"Good save, mom." I said through a chuckle.

"I try!" We laughed together.

I sighed and felt a smile form on my face. "I have some news for you. It's uh, regarding Rhea." I sounded so nervous.

I heard my mom gasp. "What's wrong, sweety? Did something happen?"

"Yeah, we were talking last night. She didn't want to be my friend anymore." I had to refrain from laughing as I heard my mom gasp louder.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry, Riley. Are you ok? Do I need to have a talk with her?" Mom immediately got protective over me and that's something I've always loved about my mom.

"No, you don't have to. I'm pretty great, actually."

"Pretty great? I don't understand." I couldn't hold it in anymore. I started laughing. "Sweetheart, you're confusing me."

I pulled into a dollar store parking lot. "Mom, how can we be friends if she's my girlfriend?" I parked and got out of the car.

"Wait, you're serious?" I hummed a response. "Don't scare me like that, child! Dear Gods, I'm getting too old for this. Just so you know, I'm happy for you and your Aunt owes me fifty bucks."

"You and Auntie made a bet on Rhea and I? What the hell, mom?"

"Listen, I couldn't pass that up. She thought you liked Nikki, but I know my daughter. I know when you love someone. It was only a matter of time before you kicked the fear away and went for it." I sighed as I grabbed some snacks for the house. I made sure to get sour jolly ranchers and gummy worms for Rhea and I.

"Yeah, sure mom. Anyways, I gotta go. My phone is blowing up with texts right now. It might be Nikki."

"Ok, I love you. I'll talk to you later." I said I love you back and I hung up. I looked through the messages I was getting. Ginger is freaking out and Trinity is saying I told you so. I also told Drew. He's happy for me. I have more missed messages from Nikki. She's freaking the fuck out way more.

I ignored them for now since I gotta check out and go home.

****

On my way home, Nikki finally called me. She didn't let me talk after I answered. "You've got to be joking! Are you serious? Are you and Rhea really together?" I pulled into the driveway and parked.

"Yes, Nikki, I am. Rhea and I talked last night. I asked her to be my girlfriend and she said yes." I got out of the car and went inside. I heard a male voice ask Nikki a question. She whispered an answer to him. "Is that the hubby? Killi, my man. How are you?"

"I'm doing good, can't complain. Congratulations on the win, by the way." I sat the bag on the counter.

"Thanks, it feels good to finally win a title." Killian said goodbye and let Nikki and I talk.

"Why didn't you think to tell me sooner? You know I'm your biggest fan and I'm you're number one supporter. I've been waiting for this ship to sail since we had the three way brand tournament in survivor series." I can't believe Nikki remembers that. That was back in 2019 or 2020 I'm pretty sure.

I sighed through a chuckle. "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Rhea and I wanted a quiet night to watch a movie. We wanted no interruptions and to keep it to ourselves for a little bit. A time to be just us. You understand, right?"

"Yes, I understand. I'm sure you're busy today with interviews and all that. Text me later, alright?"

I smiled, even though Nikki couldn't see it. "I will, Nikki. I love you, dude."

"I love you too. I'll talk to you later. Tell Rhea I said hi." Nikki hung up. I went to my room and changed back into my shorts. I saw Nala had moved to the end of the bed. She must have gotten too hot. I lightly patted her head and crawled back into bed. Rhea was facing away from me, so I snuggled up to her and wrapped an arm around her waist so I'm spooning her. Rhea stirred and I kissed her cheek. "Just me, babe."

Rhea hummed and moved back so she was closer to me. "Good, because Nala left me. She got too hot and I was getting cold without her."