CHAPTER 27: The Future

MERRICK

Things were never meant to get to this point. None of what is happening at the moment was ever meant to happen.

She didn't recognize me. She didn't remember anything and it made me now realize that I have failed her as a mate and my family for not preventing this all from even happening in the first place.

I knew it had been a risk showing up here and I went against my parents wishes and advice but, I couldn't wait another day without Mara.

After my father and I had returned back home several days ago and my mother had explained what happened, along with the Alpha Games being cancelled as well, I was told to wait things out.

We needed a solid plan. It wasn't going to be easy and my mother had warned me about what could have possibly happened to Mara already and....she was right.

Mara's father, Goldwin, had officially done his best at erasing all of her memories from when she was a child (except for of course identifying her mother and Peter). Then he replaced them with new ones. Mainly lies of course, but enough to help her forget even me and any memories we had ever made together.

It has already been a little over a week since I had last seen her and each day that went by got harder and harder for me to bare the pain I felt for every moment we weren't together or able to mindlink. So I snuck out in the middle of the night yesterday and told Jakob where I was going, but that was it.

I knew the risks and I didn't care. The title didn't matter nor did the Alpha Games. All that mattered to me was getting her back.

Things now may look even worse as I have been down inside this wretched basement with a foul smell that makes me want to vomit. I've been here since they caught me a few days ago without being able to mindlink anyone.

They have done nothing but try and starve me to death along with attempting to try other torturing techniques to break me. They want me to betray my family and try to even join forces with him, but I refuse. I will NEVER give in. And as far as the Head Elder, Roman is concerned, he can forget me ever betraying the council and going against the laws like he has.

Jericho hasn't come down yet and frankly I wish he would so that I could have at him. I have been keeping my mind busy since I've been down here to keep my sanity. Mostly I have dreamt and thought up of how I had planned to take out my brother and even Mara's father.

My thoughts suddenly get interrupted as I hear the heavy door above the stairs straight ahead of me open up and at first I couldn't see in who it was but my wolf told me it was our mate.

I tried to straighten myself up and slicked back my tousled now greasy hair behind with my hand to look somewhat presentable for her, despite her not knowing who I am anymore. Mostly because deep down, I feel as though she will remember.

She slowly walks up towards the iron-made  cell and then I notice behind her are two men.

"My father has asked to speak with you. Cooperate and maybe you will get something to eat afterwards." She states with her arms folded over her chest.

My wolf and I were both very disappointed that she wasn't alone and that she wasn't here to rescue me or even talk to me as her mate.

However, I needed to remind him that things are going to be okay in the end and that I was certain about it.

I nodded in agreement to her request and with my wrists both still chained together, I followed behind her while being escorted by the two men upstairs and into the infamous office of Goldwin. Except this time, it wasn't just him and his men. Sitting there across the desk from Goldwin was Roman and a couple other councilmen.

Next I was forced to sit down in the chair opposite from Goldwin and next to Roman while everyone looked at me and Mara sat beside her father.

The oddest thing I took immediate notice of as soon as I sat down was the look upon Roman's face. He genuinely looked concerned at me then became frustrated and snapped his head towards Goldwin and glared.

"You said you wouldn't hurt him!" He stated through clenched teeth agitatingly.

"Since when have you grown so soft, Roman?!" Goldwin asked with a raised eyebrow.

What the hell was going on here?! I don't understand. I thought Roman was part of all this?! That was the entire reason for him trying to hurt my father and his reputation and try to take him down along with me? I'm so confused right now. It couldn't be because he had a change of heart or anything. What is he playing at?!

"I haven't!" Roman snapped back at Goldwin. "But this wasn't part of the plan. Not to mention we need him in good shape in case it came down to being forced to negotiate."

"Fucking traitor!" I stated under my breath at him.

Everybody looked at me and Goldwin had a smirk on his face.

"What was that?" Goldwin asked me.

"I called this asshole here, a fucking traitor!" I repeated while looking with anger and disgust at Roman.

"You don't understand what is happening." Roman tried to explain lowly at me but I cut him off.

"I do! You have betrayed everyone including not just our kind, but many others and even my father's! You are a real piece of shit who doesn't deserve to live!" I snapped at him.

Goldwin began to chuckle a bit out of pure delightment.

"And as for you. You are nothing more than a coward!" I told Goldwin.

The smirk disappeared and the next thing I remembered was suddenly both my wolf and I gathering up whatever strength we had left from the lack of food I have not had since my arrival.

I swiftly stood up and punched several men in my way, in both the throats and in the face as hard as I could.

Then I found myself a brief moment later, grabbing hold of Mara from behind and held her captive with a knife I quickly had grabbed off the desk in a swift move when standing and held it now against her throat.

"I suggest you don't try anything stupid." I warned him.

I could tell by not just the look upon Goldwin's face and the gasps of surprise from everybody else's reactions to what I had just done that they were very compliant to whatever I was about to demand or ask from them. For I knew in this moment, I had control of the situation. This time, I am calling the shots. He wouldn't dare risk losing his 'progress' with Mara.

"Don't YOU dare do anything stupid." Goldwin warned.

"Trust me, you're not the only one with mental abilities." I smirked in satisfaction as little do they know that days before I had arrived here, my mother taught me how to get past any difficulties someone was to give me by preventing me to mindlink with anyone if ever held captive. Down in the basement it was difficult only because down there, the cell I was in was covered in wolfsbane that can not only burn when touched but also keep you from using any abilities you may have.

I knew Goldwin would eventually call me up to see him and talk. It was a risk but I knew that it would pay off. I was able to get past him.

I was able to mindlink my father and Jakob both while walking towards Goldwin's office here.

Within seconds of grabbing hold of Mara to take 'hostage' my pack and father were here and had rushed in.

Before leaving, I overheard my father, Roman and Goldwin warning each other this was far from over.

Honestly, I couldn't wait to get my hands on them again.

This may very well lead to a war soon. They started it and I plan to finish it. Though first thing is first, I need to get back my mate and try to recover what I can of her memories while getting rid of whatever her father has replaced them all with. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)

Now of course, in the full book version of this, these days will be longer and things will have happened within these periods of times that seemed rushed in here, but for now, for the short version here, this is what is is. :):) Hope you enjoy :)