CHAPTER 8: At Last!

MERRICK

In just a short amount of time, she FINALLY admits we are mates. Now both me and my wolf, as well as her and her wolf can be happy.

"It's about time you finally admit it." I teased her.

She is so cute getting all worked up over nothing and then finally admitting she feels the same but especially, admitting she was mine and I was hers. 

She did explain to me why she didn't feel something or say anything right away and after she told me that her so-called 'mate' had rejected her in such a crude way, I wanted her to tell me so that I could find him and teach him some manners.  However, she told me that it didn't matter because then she and I would never have been able to find each other.  In which, I agree of course. 

Tonight, I had all of my friends over to hang out at the house to meet her, eat and hang out.  Right away, I noticed that she and my friends all seemed to get along immediately and they were elated to hear about me finding a mate and that it was her of all the ones it could have been.

There was one point while we all were sitting around the table, playing a poker game, that one of the guys, Leon, brought up something out of pure idiocracy, brought on by too many beers. 

"Man, when the hell are you going to take back your title?!" He chuckles. 

The room became silent and things right away became awkward at the same time. All I could do was glare at him along with Jakob and thankfully a couple of other guys changed the subject. At least that's what I thought until Mara asked about it. 

"Yeah. Why don't you?" She asks me curiously. 

"I just don't want it." I firmly mention before taking a drink from my beer. 

"But why not? I mean, doesn't the oldest get the title? I'm sure the Wolf Council could...." Mara continued until I accidentally snapped at her to drop it. 

I noticed she jumped in her chair at the table and looked down at her cards, making the moment even more awkward than it already was. She avoided eye contact with me for the next few minutes before she folded then got up and left outside onto the front porch.

"You should go talk to her." Jakob lowly suggests to me. 

"Yeah." I replied with a nod and glared again at the guy who started this whole thing before standing and walking after her. 

Once outside, I took in a deep breath and let it out, closing the front door behind me before standing next to her. 

"I'm sorry." She tells me. 

"No. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped like I did." I apologize. 

"It's none of my business and I don't know where all of that came from to be honest." She chuckles a little bit. 

"Please, baby, I still never should have reacted the way I did at you. It's just, he shouldn't have brought it up." I shook my head still agitated he brought it up even. 

She looks at me and smiles at me. I took her hand into mine and while continuing to sit there on the steps on the porch, I felt like I almost wanted to explain to her about what happened many years ago with my brother and why he will officially have the title and not me,  but I hold back still. I hesitate in what she would think of me and my temper. I mean, I had more of a temper years ago and now have learned to control it more. However, I guess, on the other hand, it's best to tell her since I know she will find out sooner or later and we are, after all, mates. 

"Well, I won't bring it up again. I'm sure when you're ready, you'll tell me." She assures me. 

I look at her for a moment and express a smile upon my face in return before I begin to tell her what was going on. 

"Listen, I want you to know that what I did years ago, I was a different person then. I have more control over my temper now and want you to understand that I would never ever hurt you." I explain. 

"I believe you." She smiles in return while holding the side of my face. 

"You have to understand something about my family dynamics. Both of my parents are all about the titles with my father being one of the high Elder's in the Wolf Council and my mother being the wife of one. Jericho has always been jealous of me and always made it known to everybody that I wasn't worthy of the title and that I should have to earn it, like in the Alpha Games. Although I had a temper back then and was immature, I still felt I could make a better Alpha than him. So one day, he wanted to prove me wrong and impress our parents desperately, among everyone else that he was worthy of the title too, to the point where he lost it and had ended up hurting another wolf in the process. It was the last time they ever held an Alpha Game (before they banned it for good) and it was all due to the fact that the wolf Jericho had attacked, ended up dying." I finished. 

There was a brief moment of silence before she asked me something. 

"But wait, if he hurt the wolf, why was he ever given the chance to become Alpha than you?" She asks confused. 

"Because during the fight, after finding the dead body of the wolf behind a huge tree, I was the only one left standing near the body. My brother had run off and because he had no record of having a temper or a bad record like mine, they nailed me for the death and I was stripped of any rights in becoming Alpha." I shamefully and angrily admit. 

"But that doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they have believed you? Didn't your parents try to defend you at least?" She asks me.

"Of course not. To them I was what humans consider as to being called a 'trouble child' and they were too embarrassed and ashamed to help me that they let the Wolf Councilmen decide my fate. So despite the rumors you heard about me, what I just told you is the truth." I finish telling her. 

I don't know why I said all of that to her but at the same time, I feel relieved. It feels good telling someone other than the Councilman who is looking into my case again to see what he can do along with my friends knowing I was wrongfully accused and put away, it feels good to let her know. 

My goal here, in the end, is to prove that my brother was the guilty one, not me and that I deserve that title, even deserve to replace my father and expose him for all of the things he has done throughout the years that if the Council knew, he would be stripped of his titles. I'm especially hoping that after all is said and done, I challenge my brother to an Alpha Game. 

For now, I can say that at last, the truth is out. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)