CHAPTER 23: Tomorrow Is A New Day

MERRICK

What the hell was he doing here?! And he sure has some damn nerve showing up, not to mention trying to threaten me and talking to my mate the way he did.

I wanted to rip his fucking head off, but I know I have to reserve my emotions for the moment and save my wrath for when we compete in the Alpha Games.

Just the mentioning of rather or not I would be prepared for it by next week, I know that was meant to be an insult more than a statement.

This time the game wouldn't end with him escaping being judged and thrown into confinement. This time, the rules would be a bit different to some degree. This game means more than just a title. This was war between my brother and I. This was more PERSONAL. This game will determine the future not just for the both of us, but for everybody, including the elders.

Once this game was over, the Elders too will hopefully be exposed at the same time and we can deal with everything right away.

My parents arrived a few hours later, after Jericho had left and I explained to them about his visit and what all was said and what his plans and thoughts were.

"Oh dear." My mother said as she took a seat in one of the arm chairs.

"It's alright honey." My father comforts her.

"No it isn't." She replies with her eyes closed and disappointment in not just the tone of her voice but also the look upon her face as well.

"Sweetheart." My dad begins again but she stops him as she places her hand on top of his that is on the top of her shoulder.

"All I ever wanted, since I was a little girl, was becoming a Luna and having a great family. Never did I expect to have a son who brought nothing but pain and division to this family."

"Mom, it isn't your fault Jericho is the way he is." I replied as I knelt down in front of her and take her other free hand into mine and looked at her.

"But I'm his mother. I failed at something I always wanted all my life, to perfect - being a good mother. What kind of a mother am I? I tried - WE all tried to provide both of you with a better life than your father and I had." She tears up as she continues.

"Please, mom. It isn't your fault. You and dad did a better job than most. In fact, do you remember When I was upset with you after I returned from school in the fourth grade and I disagreed with your punishment and later that night, you had come to apologize to me in how you handled it? Do you remember what you said?" I asked.

It took her a brief moment and as she sniffled a few times, she started to smile and nodded her head in agreement.

"Yes. I told you that having children, it never  comes with a manual and that all I could ever do is give you as many tools as I possibly can and the rest would be up to you in whether or not you chose to use them." She remembers.

"Yes. That's what you did. Everyone makes mistakes. And I understand that I had made my share and I want you to know that I don't blame either one of you for when I was put into confinement. I made a decision, a choice, and I paid for it." I try to explain.

"I have felt so terrible about that Merrick. You didn't deserve that. We should have known...." She started but I stopped her.

"Mom? Stop blaming yourself. You and dad have done everything you can. You both did a good job and I wouldn't have ever asked for different parents." I reassure her with a smile.

It took her a moment before she smiled again and then nodded her head and we hugged each other tightly.

After we all discussed what our next actions were going to be and have some dinner, we all headed off to bed eventually and while getting ready for bed, I had finished brushing my teeth and turned off the bathroom light and noticed Mara was facing the window in bed already and I could tell that she was feeling worried still.

Once underneath the covers beside her, I move closer to her and begin placing gentle kisses upon her shoulder and neck then caress the side of her arm.

"What's wrong baby?" I ask.

"I'm just worried." Mara shrugs a little.

"About what? Your parents or the Alpha Games or...." I began to ask but she stopped me and rolled over on her side to look at me.

"Everything. I mean, I do believe that my parents will be alright but between us taking down the Elders practically then the Alpha Games starting next week, I don't know. I'm just scared of what will happen." She admits.

I begin to gently caress the side of her face with the back of my hand.

"I understand why you're worried but I promise you that everything will be okay. I'll be alright and things will be okay in the end. I don't have a bad feeling. Even with your father." I explained.

She smiles and nods at me.

"You're right." She agrees.

I give her a long and passionate kiss and hold her in my arms before the both of us fall asleep in one anothers arms.

Tomorrow is a brand new day and hopefully, things will begin to fall into place.  Not to mention that my father had pulled me aside before I came up to the bedroom that he had something he wanted to show me that may help take down Mara's father and a few other information about the Elders that could help our case.

Next chapter will be posted! :)