I knew Niall wouldn't approve but I didn't really care, I didn't need his permission.

An ultrasound technician emerged from the closed doors leading to the rooms then, with a short blonde bob of wispy straightened hairs and bright red lipstick. She looked giddy but friendly as she smiled proudly, sticking her hand out to me as I stood from my seat. "Hi there Ms. Stewart!" She quipped with a large toothy grin, the kind of smile that made you a little anxious but you knew was harmless. "I'm Martha. Heyyy...like Stewart too." She winked as she eyed my last name on her clipboard. "But I haven't been to prison, I promise." She laughed loudly, and my eyes widened at her joke. I was slightly uncomfortable when she first approached but her humour was a little amusing and made me slightly less anxious.

"Please come with me, I'll be taking a look-see at your little baby today."

I followed her quietly, moving behind the large wooden doors before proceeding to one of the ultrasound rooms, surrounded by a curtain to separate it from the other rooms that were empty. I laid down on the examination table and lifted my sweater, rolling it up to the bottom of my chest. Martha tucked a towel into my yoga pants as she started up the machine, and then got the goo out that I knew had to be spread across my stomach.

"It's going to be cold, sorry!" She laughed loudly, before squeezing the blue gel into her hand and smearing it onto my lower abdomen. I took a sharp breath at the chill of it and Martha giggled, her childishness confusing me but being funny nonetheless.

"Okay, let's get started. I'm just going to make sure your little one is nice and healthy." She smiled, but I wasn't reassured. I had this itching feeling that made me want to scratch viciously at myself, and I didn't know why. It was the strangest thing, but I had this god awful instinct that something was wrong.

Martha was happily humming as she moved the wand around my stomach, both of our gazes locked on the screen. I immediately relaxed and smiled upon hearing the thud - the beautiful heartbeat of a life growing inside of me. Martha smiled warmly and recorded what was necessary, tapping away at the keys on the machine.

She was nearly finished her examination, and I was getting tired, ready for her to print off some pictures so I could go home.

"One last thing." She hummed, stopping her movements and glancing at me then back to the screen. "You're over 4 months now, so would you like me to tell you the sex of-"

She stopped dead at the end of her sentence, her light brown perfectly shaped brows frowning profusely as she squinted at the screen. My entire body tensed and a shear jolt of knowing spiked it's way down my spine and I knew, I knew, this was what I had been feeling. The negative aura. The bad news.

"That can't be right..." She mumbled to herself, French manicured nails tapping now viscously on the screen. She moved the wand to another position on my skin and frowned even further.

"Please tell me." I begged, feeling my limbs shake as I hastily sat up and stared at the screen. Whatever she saw, I wasn't seeing it. I didn't know what she was looking at.

"I'm... I don't know how to tell you this.." Martha mumbled, though she seemed more confused herself.

"Just tell me what's happening, I need to know what's wrong." I was getting snappy but I was nervous and she was scaring me. The previous chipper attitude she possessed had vanished.

"I...I can't be sure I'm right. Let me go get a second pair of eyes and ears." She stood up so quickly I didn't have the chance to protest.

Once she was gone I wiped the gel off of my stomach with the towel and tossed it aside, readjusting my clothing and slinging my purse over my arm. I had the nerve to just leave right now, and come back another day, but I knew that I needed to find out what it was that had surprised the ultrasound technician so much that she had to go get another person for their opinion.